Why are my Johnson's Blues so leggy?

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I have new Johnson's Blue geraniums in my garden (planted them from bare root this spring). They are awfully leggy and sprawling. They don't have a nice habit at all. Is this typical of Johnson's Blues, or am I doing something wrong. The photos of the Jolly Bees that I've seen here look much nicer. Are they a better plant, or would they be leggy in my hands as well?

Santa Fe, NM

I just asked more or less the same question on another thread. I'm liking those Jolly Bees, too. But, I've never seen them around where I live.

Santa Fe, NM

You know what, I was just reading around and I get the impression that they all get leggy, sticky and messy. It seems like most people cut them back.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

My Johnson's Blue, and all my G. praetenses tend to get tall and leggy, and fall over on everything around them. I think it's just the way they are.

Deb

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I have heard to cut them back and also to stake them with branches or give them something to lean on.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I love how the jolly bee sprawls over everything - it's one of my favs

Thumbnail by debi_k
(Zone 4a)

Debilu,

That is a gorgeous setting! I love the unique window in the building.

Indeed, your Jolly Bees are quite happy!

Corinne

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

My Johnson's Blue are at the back of my flower bed... a mistake on my part. I expected something similar in stature to our Geranium erianthum. However, they flop forward from the back and peek through the plants in front of them, so their floppiness is not an issue. In my opinion, the Johnson's Blues have a similar habit to the Geranium sanguinium, another geranium best appreciated peeking between other plants.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

pgt-- I like the Jolly Bee a lot better than Johnson's Blue for a more controlled appearance and long bloom time.

In our garden the hardy geraniums can be leggy too so I like to plant them around daylilies that have a bit of purple edging for a nice filler... I cut them back in July or so, depending on the variety.

Mine never look as fantastic as debilu'e picture--that 'Jolly Bee' must be on steroids! Beautiful, though.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks tobasco, but that is a playhouse they are planted by, so they might look bigger in the pic!

Victoria Harbour, ON

I don't believe I've seen either of these here..will have to jot them down on my 'must find' list...

Beautiful..

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Betty, if you are looking for Johnson's Blue, you'll have to find the plant. They do not put out seed, as they are sterile.

Medford, NJ

I love these geraniums, but unfortunately they are only full when very small. Still, if you plant a few together, it isn't so bad. THe flowers make them worth it!

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

It's so funny that you just replied to this post and reminded me of it. Now that my JB geraniums are in their second year, I absolutely love them. I might change my mind again when they are done blooming, and get leggy. But in this moment, I love them. Here's a pic.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

from another angle

Thumbnail by pgt
Medford, NJ

ooohh so pretty, they don't look leggy now, and even when they do, if you have several together, it isn't so bad. It is kind of a less formal wildflower cottage garden look, and I like that.

They are just that perfect shade of blue, aren't they?

I have that same weeping evergreen type tree!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I think that some Geraniums species are leggy because they spread their seed by that method. Geranium seed usually sprouts early and grows fast, they can make colonies that way. From a their point of view they are very successful. From my point of view they are messy. They won't grow here and I miss them in my garden. But I do have some pretty cool tropicals>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hardy geranium are often called 'Cranesbill' because of the interesting seed head that has a long point that looks like a cranes bill. This seed head, when ripe, pops open like an umbrella that has been blown backward in the wind. At the end of each 'rib' is an encased black seed about the size of mouse dung. In the process of opening, the seeds are spring coiled and are flung from the seedheads. It is pretty fascinating to watch, but frustrating when one is trying to gather ripe seeds. Of course, in the case of the JB geranium, there are no seeds to be had. By the way, beautiful gardens!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.