Give me some planting ideas

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

On one side of my house we have a 37 foot long driveway. On the side is a granite wall that goes from 3 feet to around 10 feet in the back. The 10 foot section at the end is 10 feet wide.
We are thinking of planting something at the top of this wall that would do well in part shade and could grow (hang down) the 10 foot face.
Something that flowers would be nice but we would be happy with just greenery.
Any suggestions?
Chuck

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I have an Akebia quinata which does very well in part shade. Grows both up or down at several feet a year.
Boston Ivy is a standard wall coverer, but I have never grown it. I tried English Ivy once, but it grew slowly, about a foot a year.
At another house I had a Climbing Hydrangea that covered an eight foot fence nicely. It could probably be trained to grow downwards as well, but requires several years before it takes off and starts to flower.
I have seen Dutchman's pipe (Aristolochia macrophilla) used for this purpose in other gardens.
I wonder if Clematis (esp. Autumn clematis) would do well trailing over a wall?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

How is the soil Chuck? Moist or dry? Is it an area you can water - at least while trying to establish something?

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Victor,
The soil is pretty good. It might have a tendence to be dry but is located where I can water easily.

Don,
I checked out a couple of your suggestions. The Akebia seems to be a bit agressive and invasive. I wonder if the fruit would become messy on the ground? Although the area it would be in should be fairly easy to control. I just don't want it to show up in the house next door. The dutchmans pipe might be a good choice. I want to look at as many choices as I can because I'm in no rush to plant this area.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

My akebia is 5 years old and hasn't fruited yet. At least I've not seen any.

Don

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

In that case I would consider trying a Clematis. I don't grow Autumn Clematis - it is invasive in some areas from the seeds. I would check how it does in your area first.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.