Fall hosta coop?? Interested???

Virginia Beach, VA

I am in communication with a member who can coodinate this and will call vendors. She said it will be limited participants so we want to know who is interested.I am very much interested so by spring they will be big. Sign in!!!! The number of participants is the coordinator's call. Thank you, Bellie

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Bellie,

How late in the fall? I have never done a fall planting, so not sure how late you are talking. I might be interested if it's not too late. I'm not very good at watering and tending to stuff after Sept!

Virginia Beach, VA

Right now I do not know but the vendor will determine when is the best time. I would think Octoberso it will not be too cold, the ground is still manageable. They will be multiple eyes in spring and I am excited!!! Bellie

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay, I will keep an eye on this thread!

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

YES! YES! YES! I am definitely interested in a hosta coop!

MANSFIELD, AR(Zone 7a)

I am interested!

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

You all have much warmer Oct. than I do. Is there anybody further north that has done the fall coops? Is Oct. too late for Central Ill.? Not sure that they would have time for roots to develop enough for winter freeze....Anybody else in my zone with experience?

Thanks,
Rose

Bettendorf, IA

If it is with Shady Oaks I would be interested. Likely not with another vendor

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Rose, Fall is my fav. time to garden. You can plant until the ground is frozen- I've been caught planting bulbs up until Dec.!
We think of the earth being cold in winter, but it's only the top 4-6". Underneath, the ground is warm (the deeper you go, the warmer it gets- geothermal heating) so perennials can grow roots all winter (unless it's unusually cold). That's why I love snow so much- it insulates and everything is so much bigger the next spring!

How does a co-op work?

Lula, GA

Bellie

I'm interested, also.

Just a heads-up for northerners- some of us, like in Georgia, Alabama and Texas, and of course, Virginia and the Carolinas, can basically plant all winter- we don't get much heaving of plants and our first fall frost is much later, the ground seldom freezes. That may limit the folks from Minnesota or even the Plains states and New England- depends on the shipping date, I suppose. The sooner in the fall the better, for them to get them safely in the ground.

Are you going to give a hint about the possible vendor(s)?

Brenda B

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the information! I'll have to think about it if it gets too late.

Pegzhere,

I think I read that you participated in the Shady Oaks coop last fall, and everything came back. How late was that one? I don't think there's anybody closer than you to me! So, I would go by your own experience with fall planting.

Bettendorf, IA

I believe we ordered in July but received in Sept. maybe? I was in 2 or 3 SO co-ops last year . One came in summer and 2 came in fall. I know I had many from SO to plant that I got in by end of Sept. a few first week of Oct. All of them came back. I just remember the root systems were INCREDIBLE as compared to the liners I got from Q&Z and Hostaplants.com and one other which I can't quite remember.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Pegzhere,

Thanks. I really appreciate the info.

Rose

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Rose where I live the recommendation is to make your last planting six weeks before the ground is expected to freeze. Plants need time to establish their roots before the ground freezes. For me that's September. Last year I ignored this and things I planted in October died this spring.
Snow is a wonderful blanket but hard to count on! We had erratic snow/melting all the way into January. Then it turned bitter cold followed by snow and many things got nipped as they hadn't gone dormant due to the abnormally warm fall-early winter we had.

MollyD

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I would be interested....any idea of the vendor?

Virginia Beach, VA

The coordinator is talking to the vendors and as soon as she finalizes then she will D-mail me and we start.Righjt now we need to have an idea who are joining and so I am going to do a form and hopefully know how to attach so wish me luck. I am not a computre savvvy. LOL stay tuned. I used to live in Rhode island and we had snow galore but all my hostas thrived. i prefer planting in the fall.
my form ddi not transfer so I will try again. Be patient Bellie

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 6:30 PM

Virginia Beach, VA

THIS SPACE FOR PARTICIPANTS ONLY

Another try!!! LOl!!!! It did not transfer so I have to try something different. Please
wite you name if interested and add a number. I will email the coordinator and check with her the number of participants. Just click edit
1 Bellie
2 bamagirl
3 pondmeme
4 wholy hosta
5pink poodle
6. Bev
7. not martha
8. daisy cat
9. ruby
10. dovedesign
11.dirtpig
12.frans530
13.jax4ever
14.devil dogs
15.moretz
16imgordon
17baja220
18ademink
19. ladtbugfunn
20 lala jane
21 banders
22 pegshere
23wvdaisy
24ponditis
25tcs 1366
26rose1656
27didigirl
28 icosden
29tuddye
30nutmegnana??
31 allnitro
32pbtxlady
33 dmac
34 city_sylvia
35 9 kittymom
36 gfprange
37susybell
38msmaati
39 kimsgardenheave
40WALNUT23
41 silverflutter
42 drsaul
43 debsroots
44 bs ward
45 Ms matti

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 6:35 PM

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 6:36 PM

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 6:39 PM

This message was edited Jul 16, 2007 11:14 PM

This message was edited Jul 17, 2007 5:07 AM

This message was edited Jul 17, 2007 4:54 PM

This message was edited Jul 17, 2007 9:28 PM

This message was edited Jul 18, 2007 5:52 AM

This message was edited Jul 18, 2007 5:51 PM

This message was edited Jul 20, 2007 5:04 AM

This message was edited Jul 20, 2007 1:52 PM

This message was edited Jul 21, 2007 12:04 PM

This message was edited Jul 21, 2007 10:33 PM

This message was edited Jul 22, 2007 6:15 AM

This message was edited Jul 22, 2007 9:08 PM

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 5:10 AM

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 8:55 AM

This message was edited Jul 28, 2007 7:25 AM

This message was edited Jul 28, 2007 7:27 AM

This message was edited Jul 29, 2007 5:00 AM

This message was edited Jul 29, 2007 9:05 PM

This message was edited Jul 30, 2007 11:26 AM

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 4:58 PM

Virginia Beach, VA

jAX,
You want to know how a coop work. a coordinator rmake a contracts with a vendor for prices much lower than the website price. and participants will make selections . As far as where the money goes will be decided later. When everything is finalized the coordinator will post some rules and guidelines. i am new here at DG but Ithink this is how this coop will be done. Please be patient, it just got started this morning. Bellie

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Bellie~Can you add me in? Planting in the fall works well for this area!!
Bev

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I have planted hostas right through to the end of September......perhaps even later.....it's hard to remember. I haven't lost a hosta to winter-kill yet. I do however enrich the soil that I'm planting them in with plenty of mushroom compost (if I have any) and peat.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

im interested

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

I'm interested also. :)

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

I count me in too!

sue

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

Interested.

Superior, WI(Zone 4a)

Interested

This message was edited Jul 17, 2007 8:24 AM

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I would be interested also... please

Edited to add: last year I was planting Hosta until December, not because I wanted to... it was a HAVE to situation, they all did great!

This message was edited Jul 17, 2007 8:29 AM

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm in!
-Melissa

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

interested

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

im in please

Boiling Springs, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm interested.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I'm interested too!!

Debbie

Virginia Beach, VA

I can no longer update the name of participants today, my limit is exhausted so I will update the list tomorrow. I heard from the coordinator and she told me it is not shady oaks.she is still communicating with a vendor. stay tuned for updates!!! Bellie

Indianapolis, IN

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

I'm interested too.

Virginia Beach, VA

We now have 19 participants!!! Bellie

Bettendorf, IA

Thanks for that tidbit of info - I'll sit out on this one :)

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Interested as well. :)

Virginia Beach, VA

Right now there are 20 interested and the coordinator is waiting for answer from a vendor. i will keep you posted. Bellie

Collinsville, VA(Zone 7b)

Add me.

Barbara

Indianapolis, IN

Thanks Bellie! I look forward to finding out who the vendor is!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.