Shade Clematis....?

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I've heard you can get a Clematis to grow in the shade but I think there is one that does well in the shade - does anyone know the name? Thanks, Jill

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

I found this on a website ( http://www.clematisinternational.com )

Varieties to Try to Grow in Shade:
All the alpinas and macropetalas
Barbara Jackman
Bees Jubilee
Comtesse de Bouchaud
Dawn
Dr. Ruppel
Fairy Queen
General Sikorski
Guernsey Cream
Hagley Hybrid
H.F. Young
integrifolia
Jackmanii (not J. Rubra or Alba)
Lanuginosa Candida
Lincoln Star
Margaret Hunt
Miss Bateman
montana rubens
Moonlight
Mrs. Cholmondeley
Nelly Moser
Niobe
Perle d'Azur
Silver Moon
Snow Queen
The President
Twilight
Victoria
Wada's Primrose
Will Goodwin
William Kennett

I should note that several sites listed Nelly Moser as a good shade choice.

Good Luck

Rose

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Also Claire de Lune.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

wow , goodnes, there are alot of shade varieties, I know I've heard of Barbara jackman but I could'nt remember the name, I saw that one on a local Garden tour this spring. Thanks Rose & Digigirl, I'll be checking on these beauties! Jill

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

A basic rule of thumb is that the white and light colored Clematis varieties do best in a partly shaded area because that way their delicate colors will not be bleached out by the sun.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Great - Thanks Shirley1md , I think I'll be experimenting with the lighter coloered Clematis this fall after I figure out an homemade arch to use on the shady side of the yard.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Sounds good!

I need to add more light colored Clematis to my shady areas too.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Jill:

I have Montana "Elizabeth", which I was told would do well in shade. I planted it in nearly full but open shade in April and It's grown like mad, but has not bloomed ...yet.
I have "Elsa Spaeth" that only gets morning sun and is blooming well (no sun after 12n).
Finally, I have 'Violet Charm" in part sun (gets only 1 hour direct sun) and it is also blooming, though not profusely.

Deb

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the suggestions Deb, I'm keeping track of these on my desktop, I have'nt planted any yet but I'm sure early spring I will. Both my sun Clematis have stop blooming for the past month - I'm sure I need to fertilize, they're getting plenty of water & the roots are shaded.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.