Pruning honeysuckle

I have 3 hineysuckle vines that I need to prune. They are on some lattice work that keeps getting blown over in high winds. I would like to prune them now, but am wondering if doing it in the middle of summer will kill them? They cover all of the lattice, which is about 6'w x 8'h. I would like to cut all three so they are only 3' high. This will make it easier to put something in place that is sturdier.

Thanks for any advice!

--
Lynne

Welcome lygratton to Dave's Garden' What zone are you?

I also have honeysuckle(goldflame Marginata) and plain old honeysuckle bushes,can't get rid of them,come up everywhere'

If it were me personally,I wouldn't touch them now' Is there any way of anchoring the lattice to another close structure? Sis'

Hi Sis. Once upon a time I knew my zone, but I am in New Mexico now. Land of the hot dry sun.

The lattice attaches to my porch roof. I may be able to use a piece of strapping. Maybe if I get a few tall friends over to help. Now to find tall friends... :-)

Thanks.

--
Lynne

The Land of Enchantment,one of my favorite places and same here 'HOT SUN' Whew,this one for us is worse than last years'

Your idea sounds good and then later when or if it ever gets cool,lol you can redo a different way''I can imagine the weight on the lattice though. I finally went to buying that plastic lattice' Got soo tired of weather/wind breaking the wood ones'

As for the tall friends,know what ya mean,I'm barely 5'2myself and shrinkin''lol Boy, the contraptions we gardeners have to create,lol

My DH knows and dreads it when I get "that glazed look" and knows what he has to do,lol''Let me know what you come up with,might need your "fix" someday too''See ya,Sis'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.