Native Shade Trees - Zone 8a

Greensboro, AL

I need to plant some shade trees along the southern edge of my property to shade my 2 story 100 year old house. I would like to use native trees that have seasonal interest and that do not have invasive roots that will undermine buildings. The trees will be planted at the top of a bank adjoining an adjacent side road. The distance is narrow but about 675 ft long. I am especially interested in trees that will attract wild life for the back portion of the property.

Here is a list of common native trees for Alabama.
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0509/ANR-0509.pdf
This list is intended to be suggestive but not all inclusive.

The native forest ecologically is oak-magnolia. The soil is sandy grading to clay at the back of the property where there is an intermittant spring branch.

I am partial to hickories, paw paw, and persimmon, as well as oaks, and native magnolias.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2007 7:50 PM

I believe I read in other posts of yours that you have Long Leaf Pine on your property, is this correct or was that somebody else?

Greensboro, AL

Thats me. I have a little grove of them at the very back - west end - of my property.

You have a little grove! How cool is that! Don't forget to underplant with native grasses.

This is a really great thread. I like that you are thinking about wildlife. I thought about this and since you have Long Leaf Pine (Pinus palustris) back there, I'd add a few of the following to that area-
Pinus taeda (Loblolly Pine)
Slash Pine (Pinus elliottii)
White Pine (Pinus strobus)
Short Leaf Pine (Pinus echinata)
All of these provide habitat. Many provide habitat to endangered species. The Bald Eagle really likes the White Pine. Lots of critters depend on the cones for survival. The seeds are eaten by numerous birds and small mammals and the cavities are used by woodpeckers. Great choices.

The Morus rubra (Red Mulberry) is a wildlife magnet. You might want to plant a few of those. Don't worry about messy fruit, the tree will be picked clean before your eyes. One thing about this tree, if you order one... specifically ask that it be straight species. I've been buying quite a few and I am finding that I am getting hybrids of the White and Red. I'm not happy about that. I've ripped them out of the ground. Now I ask. If people him and haw, your Red Mulberry is probably not straight species.

Taxodium distichum (Baldcypress) has always been a favorite of mine. Ospreys will nest in the tops of those. I think the Bald Eagle nests in the tops too. Take two or three ;)

Salix nigra (Black Willow) catkins are eaten by too many birds to list. A must have in my opinion. I've got a few up north. Their range extends way up here too so I had to plant a few myself for the pure critter value. Come to think of it, the birds eat the buds too.

Oaks are magnificent. I'd toss in a few Laurel oaks (Quercus laurifolia) for the winter food values. Ah what the heck, consider the Quercus michauxii (Swamp Chestnut Oak) and Q. macrocarpa (Bur Oak)... critters love the acorns. I don't know which oaks you already have but I'd add a few Magnolia to the mix. Specifically consider Magnolia grandiflora (Southern Magnolia) and Magnolia fraseri (Fraser Magnolia). One is a phenomenal habitat tree and one is a phenomenal food tree. Magnolia macrophylia (Biglleaf Magnolia) is real pretty but it isn't as beneficial to wildlife as the other two. It's so pretty I'd probably plant one as eye candy. I'm sure something out there uses it as a food source. Maybe contact a member named escambiaguy and see what he knows. Oh oh oh, the Magnolia virginiana (Sweetbay Magnolia) might be a great pick too.

I'd also toss in at least one Acer rubrum (Red Maple) and one A. saccharium (Sugar Maple). Great fall color and cavities are used by owls. Great food value too.

I love fruiting trees/shrubs so check these out for substantial value to wildlife-
definitely your Diospyros virginiana (Persimmon)
Carya carolinae-septentrionalis (Southern Shagbark Hickory)
Carya texana (Black Hickory)
Cornus alternifolia (Alternateleaf Dogwood)
Celtis laevigata (Sugarberry)
Nyssa ogeche (Ogechee Tupelo)
Amelanchier arborea (Downey Serviceberry)
Celtis occidentalis (Hackberry)
Carya pallida (Sand Hickory)

For pretty native additions that are still functional that will draw in the critters-
Cercis canadensis (Eastern Redbud)
Gordonia lasianthus (Loblolly Bay) great nectar and pollen plant!
Ostrya virginiana (Eastern Hophornbeam)
Halesia carolina (Carolina Silverbell)
Persea borbonia (Redbay)
Ilex opaca (American Holly)
Sassafras albidum (Sassafras) I love the leaves on this tree
Cotinus obovatus (Smoke Tree)

You're a little bit too far south for the Common Pawpaw but these would definitely work for you-
Asimina parviflora (Smallflower Pawpaw)
Asimina angustifolia (Slimleaf Pawpaw)
Both would be outstanding choices

This is really exciting to me that you chose natives. I chose them too. My property is loaded with natives. You won't be able to enjoy one stop shopping because it is highly unlikely one nursery would carry them all but if you call around, you would probably be able to track down quite a few of these. This is really great gloria125! I'm totally impressed you're picking natives for the wildlife!

I've gotta leave real soon for a vacation. You might want to privately d-mail a link to this thread to that member escambiaguy. He'd be very familiar with what's native to your area and I think he's into native trees and shrubs.

Greensboro, AL

WOW! I can't believe you came up with this composition. As you know I am a person who grew up in the woods, and I don't have a lot of property but I wanted it to be like a Forest, not just a few kinds of trees.
Where there were nuts and berries and some interesting fruits, some for me and some for the critters. Behind me there is a 50 acre farm that has been clear-cut within the last 10 years. the animals who lived there really have no place to go, despite this town is not growing.

I do have several Magnolia Grandifloras already on the front (east) side of the property, and some vintage WWI pecans in the rear.

Thanks, Equilibrium!

Greensboro, AL

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/143733/

Magnolia acuminata Butterflies. Cucumber magnolia.

Greensboro, AL

http://www.forestryimages.org/images/768x512/0008214.jpg

Eastern Hophornbeam. Ostrya virginiana.

Greensboro, AL

American persimmon. Dispyros virginiana.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/102840/

Magnolia acuminata 'Butterflies' is a cultivar, you'd probably want the straight species for wildlife value.

Greensboro, AL

http://www.forestry.iastate.edu/res/Rlinks.htm

Here are some references to research at the University of Iowa on the development of shelterbelts. Shelterbelts are plantings designed to offer windbreaks, animal habitats, snow drifting, etc. or in my case shelter from the blazing southern sun. They are analogous to the English hedgerows where forage for game is provided adjacent to cultivated fields.

Santa Fe, NM

Hi, Gloria...Just read this thread so now I know more about your land. How wonderful to do this! I think indigenous is The way to go. More later, as we are currently starting into a thunderstorm....( and we need it! )...

So Gloria, how far have you gotten on your wildlife design? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.