Why???

(Zone 4a)

Do you think it is such a stereotype for others to think if you are "older" you are into gardening? Honestly I mean I am younger but I love the stuff. Why does that stereotype happen??

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't find that the case at all. Lots of my friends garden and they're younger. I think it happens more if you live closer to an urban area or work in an urban area where people don't even have yards and they assume just older folks garden.

Lombard, IL

This does seem to be the sterotype, I find creative and nuturing people of any age gravitate toward gardening.

I think experience is what makes a good gardener, so the older you are the more expierenced you are.

I love diggin in the dirt, but I admit, I have a lot to learn!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

hmmm, I'm not creative or nurturing. I wonder why I like gardening???

(Zone 4a)

LOL flowerjen!! I sort of feel the same way with the creative part....I can't help but be nurturing because I am a mother. I just love sharing it both my young girls and they love hleping too'!

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Maybe you are more atoned to life, & what really is worth something. Beauty is Beauty - taking a walk about in the morning (can't spell) - and smiling at what you have in your garden - makes you smile- makes you will feel good or better - stress. I am what you would call an older person, I have to tell you I have gotten more joy from what I've done gardening, then even partying when I was younger with my friends.- then buying a new pair of shoes. Do what makes you happy, is what you should do. You should never feel you have to explain something as gardening - that it makes you happy - to anyone. How many people in the world are on Dave's Garden.

(Zone 4a)

I brought this up because the other day I ran into an old friend from high school and when she asked me what I have been up to I said something along the lines of enjoying my gardens. Well she laughed and thought it was funny that I was into gardening.... I was a bit offended by this....thinking there is nothing wrong with gardening at any age sheesh!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dawn - I would think this stereotype would go along with people that garden are homeowners, and homeowners are older. I mainly did pots of things when I rented.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I think it has to do with time available. I could never have dedicated this much time to the gardens when I was going to school and raising kids at the same time.

Also money. I have more disposable income than before - and a husband who cannot work in America - so he has time to help me with the heavy work.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I am remined of the Bible reference to flowers. I think that we are so much a part of our day to day lives that it is hard sometime to see, accept and enjoy the beauty of nature around us. I find being part of it, by gardening makes you someone different. I am not good at it. I'm don't have alot of garden. But I do find a peace that doesn't appear in other aspects of life. Regardless of my age, its my world and your welcome in it.
Chuck

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Even as a child when a neighbor (man) with a garden gave us tomatoes I just loved them and never gave a thought to the age of the gardener. I wish I knew more people who liked to garden, regardless of their age. Too many people still have the very old impression of doddering old women considering the merits of a 'Nelly Moser' clematis over 'Jackmanii' and think of it as "nothing better to do". Such a same when sitting having a big name cup of coffee is looked on as being a superior way to spend time. There are enough ways for all of us to enjoy spare time that it's unfortunate anyone would make light of the way you enjoy your time, Dawn.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I learned to garden from my granddad and my dad and mom. Mom taught me everything I know about growing potatoes. It began for me as knowledge passed down from my elders. If any of them had been content just to mow the grass and rake the leaves, I wouldn't know half as much as I do about gardening today.
Our Garden Club just worked all afternoon at the butterfly garden we created at our local woodland reservation in town. We had teenagers and reservation employees and ladies my age all digging, weeding, pruning and planting to get this garden in shape. A good range of ages. I am going to be 56 in November and I have gardened for a very long time. I do it because I love it and I feel sad for those who don't care how the plants got that way!
Martha

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Dawn - why even be offended? Who cares what people think? I certainly don't. I garden for myself - not to impress my neighbors or anyone else. Many people think it's more a female thing as well. That doesn't bother me either. I've never been one to care in the least what the crowd is doing or thinking.

Some of the greatest gardeners the world has known were men, Victor. Even Nero Wolfe, the orchid grower of fiction! There are probably more famous daylily hybridizers who are men than women.

I agree. Many, if not most, hybridizers and plant hunters are / were men. But many 'average' people, especially men, think it's a female hobby. I usually tell them that gardening makes men better lovers.

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

My grandmother loved gardening and I have always wanted to give it a try when I finally had a place of my own. After getting out of the military and finally settling down I was ready to "put down some roots". We are the youngest couple in our neighborhood and one of a handful that are into gardening. The families on either side of me were rolling their eyes when they saw me working late in the yard starting new gardens.. My ears were burning many nights lol... Lol needless to say my new addiction for gardening has become contagious. I spotted the single mom who lives next door to me carrying plants from her car a few weeks ago. I even heard thanking her teenage son for watering her new garden today.. :) She has never been one for talking and now comes over every time she sees me in the garden to talk. I even caught myself looking forward to my first attempt at winter sowing so that I have plants to share with her..

Very nice Mel. I too have inspired a few neighbors as well, though a couple of them had been into it for a long time. One of my FedEx guys says he loves coming to my house in the Summer - says it's like a Botanical Garden.

Victor - we got the same compliment from our locksmith!

(Zone 4a)

It must feel sooooo good to hear people say such nice things about your gardens. I know I enjoy it when I can share what little I have.

You know Victor I didn't even think of the male part. I never felt that way myself cause I have always seen men out doing gardening in my neighbourhoods however I could see people thinking it is a woman's thing LOL

Mellymass it is so nice that your gardening has brought you two together as friends :)

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

Dawn apparantly you must not have been into gardening in high school and it was something she wasn't quite expecting.
I used to work in a factory, and one snowy night after work an older lady who worked with me passed me like I was stopped. The next day she made the comment that I would never make it as a truck driver. Well guess what, I am a truck driver. Have been for 16 yrs. She found it unbelievable and very amusing.
So when you were in H.S., did you ever picture yourself as a gardener?

Good for you, Len. People can be so strange!

(Zone 4a)

Gosh no you are so right Len! NEVER did I think I would be gardening that is for sure!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

Life is strange, I never thought I would ever be a truck driver either, I certainly don't drive 65 mph on ice and snow.
And I never thought I would garden either, because all my memories of gardening are of my Dad having me and my sisters pull weeds and snap beans for the neighbors. I didn't think it was that much fun.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I was golng to comment on the male thing too. You can be macho with veggies and trees but not ornamentals. I think that thinking is what is old I came to know a bunch of guys who are birders. Not 1 pith helmet among them and they are some of the craziest guys I know. I enjoy people acting outside of expected conformity.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Macho, now there is a term or condition that applies to the young. It sad to see some older male who is still trying to maintain the macho image. Man I gave up on that a long time ago. There are many things people can do that gives them pleasure putting into it as well as getting something out of it. I always said I'd rather get paid $5.00 an hour for something I enjoy then $20.00 for something I hate.
My father used to say, "Be gentle in life and on yourself. Every day has a rainbow if you look for it."
If I can put a rainbow in your day because of something silly I say or do then I've done my best.
Chuck

Dave - I love your last sentence.

Chuck - good advice from your dad. Too often we all get too busy with removing the old rose blooms (or deadheading daylilies) that we don't notice the beauties in bloom. One of my own personal joys is watering with a hose in my hand even though we have a fine irrigation system. It's when I get to really see each plant and each container and appreciate the beauty.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I tell my kids that conventional people make good citizens - but they change nothing. Non-conformists change things - sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

When I was young, all my friends were non-conformists - self-defeating??

Nice thoughts Chuck. I agree.

Dave, I feel the most testosterone coursing through me when I'm working with my ornamentals. In preparation, I stick in as many fish hooks in my eyebrows as possible, remove my shirt to reveal the huge Pansy tattoo on my back and douse myself with fish emulsion. And all my ornamentals are female of course.

(Zone 4a)

Hahaha now that must be a sight to see! Yikes!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Our 23 year old grandson is making a temporary (?) stop in our front bedroom...4 months now. First thing he does when his friends come here is to take them to see "Mimi's garden". He works 2-10pm and gets home about 11:00PM. Immediately goes to the back to sit and unwind in the garden. I feel sure he will not think it odd when the opportunity for his own garden presents itself and he is bitten with the bug. I come from a long line of gardners and just assumed that one day I, too, would appreciate the glories of God's handiwork as I am allowed to participate.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

EWWWWW! Fish emulsion? Love it as a fertilizer, but it is pretty stinky!
Martha

There are several deodorized ones on the market.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

The deoderized ones are for whimps!
Victor, you paint quite the picture.

Chuck, smart Dad. You really seem like a good guy. I'm glad you're here.

Thanks Pirl. I really do like having my assumptions overturned.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

oh Victor you are too much!!!.... lol!!!!!

dawn, I don't have much to offer... I always do things not age appropriate so I am weird anyway... I think maybe when people get older they get wiser... nature is the best teacher I have encountered... I am learning so much... specially to shut up... and smell the flowers... and enjoy peace and quiet!!!

I am training my 2 little nephews to become gardeners... the older one is a whimp!!!! not dirt for him...

when I lived at the condo I had a 3X5 area I could plant... didn't know much so I only planted pansies every year... and Marigolds and one year I got a morning glory... but once I got the house things changed... I just happened to buy the house when I was older... simple as that!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.