CLOSED: Need a bird ID

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi y'all!

I have the usual resident birds. Mostly families that come to my feeders. This lone bird has been coming several times a day to my feeder. He feeds right along with the doves, cardinals, blue jays, and crows. I have never seen this bird with another of it's species.

Can someone ID it for me. It's the brown bird with the freckled chest and belly in the front (cardinal is behind him)?

Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Brown Thrasher

Resin

Melbourne, FL

I love the Brown Thrashers....have seen one here recently also.

Are they loners? All the other birds come in flocks or pairs or mom & dad with their babies. This bird always comes by itself. I kind of feel sorry for it. It looks at the other birds like it is looking for a friend. :-( I've watched it standing there watching all the other birds. It's a very polite bird. Let's the others eat while it waits it's turn.

Melbourne, FL

I was just checking and it seems the one I saw was a juvenile, since it had a dark eye. It said both sexes look similar, so you may be seeing both at different times.

I hope you are right gardenpom! I hate to think it is alone. I don't have any single birds here, except possibly that one. :-)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They do tend to be fairly solitary, except when breeding.

Possible of course yours has a mate sitting on a nest (though I'd think they'd probably have finished nesting by now in Florida).

Resin

Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

The brown thrasher is our state bird and we're quite familiar with them. Don't worry. If you see, one then there are probably at least 3 or 4 others around. But they don't flock like some of the more gregarious birds or bring their kids around to the local hangouts (like feeders and birdbaths), preferring to stay more under cover. They're beautiful birds.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Brownthashers nest on the ground and thier song is like a mockingbird. We see a couple every year. Bev

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.