What's making these little holes?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

My sweet potato vine is covered with these little holes, but I haven't spotted anything - insect wise - on it. Anyone know what's eating these leaves? Some kind of snail?
Thanks!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

It's possible I've answered my own question. I spotted these little shiny bugs on one leaf and a DGer ID'd them as Tortoise Beetles, who apparently feed on plants in this family. So...wild guess... 2 + 2, etc....

If I'm wrong, please let me know. Thanks!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i was going to say Flea Beetles but you've nailed it, i believe. pretty little bug and a great photo.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Snail and slugs will hide from their eating sites during the days. So at first glance we don't know what causing the damage, until we find them hidden under mulch, and such. Tortoise beetles, they are found here in our zone too, only difference is the coloring. Those attack my Morning Glory they're bright yellow, but just as pretty to look at. Flea beetles "cuttings' holes appear smaller compared to that of the Tortoise beetles' damage. And slugs and snail, sometime they tore even bigger holes on the leaves. Those are my observation.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Lily. I just double-checked and both morning glory and sweet potato vine are the convolvulaceae family, which apparently is the favorite food of tortoise beetles. Having said that, we have had more than the normal number of snails in our garden this year, but I could find none hiding in this bed. Snail damage -as you said- seems to be larger and also more ragged holes than these, I think. So, going with Occam's razor, must be these little gold guys making the holes. I hope they get their fill soon, though. :)
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.