Ants. :(

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

I did a search in this forum to see if anyone talked about a problem with ants on their new gourd plants, but didn't find any. I apologize if this is a repeat question.

All of the gourd plants not planted at the base of a pine tree are doing well, but the African ones have a bunch of ants all over them. Mostly small small ones, but a few large ones. I don't see a hill on the surface, so I assume it's underneath. :( Is there something I can use to get rid of the ants but not kill the plants?

The loofa and bottle gourd plants at the base of two pine trees are dying. They are turning yellow and shriveling up and just aren't really growing much. I don't see anything around them, but maybe the ground area is too acidic?

Thanks,
Megin

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I've never known much to enjoy growing at the base of pine trees. Have you tried any kind of fertilizer on them? I've had them get mature gourds even when the vine didn't look very happy, so don't give up unless it's too obvious they aren't going to make it.

As for the ants, if you can't make the area unpleasant enough for them (like by watering a LOT) I'm afraid I'd use a pesticide. I had a ton of ants on a clementine sapling and washed them off with water and they never came back.

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Well, it's been raining here tons and they are still around. Apparently these ants have had some sort of underwater training! I will pick up some sevin dust this weekend and try that.

Thanks!

Crossville, TN

Grits....or corn meal....put some around where the ants can eat them....then when they drink water...the grain will swell up and kill the poor buggers!! (so I'm told). LOL Jo

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Funny how there are SOME critters that you can feel sorry for in a general way, but still laugh as you eradicate them...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.