container gardening

Lafayette, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm new at container gardening and am finding my flowers are not growing very fast, are leggy, are dying away and have very few blooms. Not sure what kind of fertilizer to use. I've been using fish emulsion. Anyone recommend anything else? I'm also wondering if I'm watering too much. Is that possible. Thanks.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Try sprinkling a scant amount of Epsom salts on the surface of the soil and then mulch the surface with grass clippings to retain moisture and reduce the need for more frequent watering.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/fertilizeepsomsalts

This message was edited Jul 18, 2007 4:47 PM

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Great article Yuska, thanks. I use Epsom salts when I remember but I need to pay a little more attention since I'm in the targeted area where the soil could be magnesium deficient.

Gardenmermaid, I also do organic container gardening and find I need to feed my plants a lot if I really want them to perform. Here are some of the things I use: Fish emulsion, seaweed, bat guano and organic pelleted chicken manure, alfalfa tea. I really like the Dr. Earth products, especially their potting soil though I find Fox Farms easier to locate. Good luck and I hope this gives you some ideas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.