Potato berries

Dayton, WA

I have been growing potatoes for many years now, but this year for the first time ever, I have noticed marble-size green berries on a number of my plants. What are they, and what purpose do they serve the potato plant, if any? Really curious. Maybe one of you tater experts can enlighten me.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Those berries are seeds...kind of like mini tomatoes. They are useless unless you are a potato variety breeder.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Hi Lettuceman, I have some of those too this year on my LaRatte potato plants. I think they have to grow much more before they can be harvested for seed. Here's some information if you're interested in harvesting the seed and see what you get. I'm going to try to do that myself, just for fun.

http://www.growseed.org/potato-breeding.html

Here's a picture of one of my potato fruits. I have found 3 so far. In that link, you will see they get much bigger.

Thumbnail by jenhillphoto
Dayton, WA

Thanks for the enlightenment, Indy! I sorta suspected that they may be seeds. jenhillphoto, I really appreciate the link...such a fascinating one at that! Wish I had the time and patience to do some breeding with the seeds. However, my curiousity is now satisfied thanks to you both.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.