Tis the Season...of the Coneflower

Finger Lakes, NY(Zone 6a)

I took a quick walk through my gardens and the echinaceas are in in their glory. I thought I might share a few.

Thumbnail by rsquared
(Zone 3b)

Is that Orange Meadowbrite in the forefront? Love it. This is my first year with it and I hope it comes back in zone 3b next year. Lost two Pixie Meadowbrites over the bad winter and was heartbroken, but that didn't stop me from buying three more. I just love coneflowers.

Razzmatazz

Thumbnail by rsquared

White Swan

Thumbnail by rsquared

yes plus the 2 oranges in the background

Rose

Pixie Meadowbright

Thumbnail by rsquared

Lilliput

Thumbnail by rsquared

Fatal Attraction

Thumbnail by rsquared
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice photos Rose. How does Lilliput compare to Pixie?

Lilliput is awesome at only 10" to 12" tall while Pixie is taller than I expected. In my garden i have 2 Pixies and they are 26" and 30" tall (nice, but I was looking for a shorter variety too.)

Pixie has more flowers this year, but I like the form and height of Lilliput, but I never met a echinacea I didn't like. I went on a coneflower frenzy about 2 or 3 years ago. I got Razz from England before most around here and I was hooked.

I have not had good luck with only one or two...like Sunset, while Sunrise is doing fine...go figure. I have so many most of my neighbors can not even believe some are coneflowers.

Last year my obsession was heuchera and this year seems to be hostas. I must say that this obsession is not very painful for my neighbors. They all covet my gardens. To me it is a labor of love.

Rose

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I've had Razz a few years. Have you seen Little Giant in person?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Rose,
Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my! I tend to get onto different plant obsessions, too. But, whatever it happens to be at the moment, it all bites me in the wallet;-))) I guess being broke makes me the happiest!
From your beautiful pictures, we can see the love that goes in..

Bev

I have seen Little Giant in a quart size pot, but not planted and established. It was on my list of "to get", but after a quick count of more than 18 varieties in my gardens and lack of garden space, I had to quit...at least for now.

Rose

(Zone 3b)

Here is Orange Meadowbrite with Pixie Meadowbrite in the foreground. I love them both. Orange is getting slightly sloppy, therefore, the stake. Waiting for my Ruby Giants to bloom this week, also White Swan has loads of buds waiting to explode. I am also a coneflower nut. Wal-Mart had some nice quart sized Magnus for $3.50. I had to slap my own hand to not buy any more. I tend to go for the ultra long lasting perennials, since our summers are short up here.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2007 1:45 PM

Thumbnail by muddbear

I also like the more compact habit of Kim's Knee High. I try to mix the upright petals with varieties like this that weep and the center is so prominent.

Muddbear--my OM can't get too sloppy because I planted it behind a spirea and in front of sedum Autumn Joy; they hold the OM upright...lucky placement on my part, not plannned.

Rose

Thumbnail by rsquared
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Stand of tall Echinacea:

Thumbnail by jmorth
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's Green Eyes with a greener eye.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very modest first flower for Rasberry Tart, they are supposed to be smaller, plus the plant is still pretty small.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, first time posting on this thread! We have the magnus, and I have a question about dividing them, as they're all in one area, and I'd like to spread them out. Can I do that now, or should I wait until they're finished blooming? Or even until early next spring?

I would wait until they are done blooming just so you can enjoy them. I don't think you could harm them though. I have divided mine in the fall and spring and they do great.

I have been known to dug some up while in bloom to share with friends while they are in my gardens, oohing and aahing over them. I grab a shovel and dig out a hunk. Most folks tell me they looked sad when first planted but have come back year after year.

I think it only depends on your wants with the echinaceas, unlike a peony that you must wait for Fall.

Good luck with your project.

Rose

Thanks, Rose! We do have a few strays that popped up elsewhere in the yard, and I was afraid to relocate them for fear of killing them, but I think I'll try it now. The rest, I'll wait until they're done blooming. I appreciate the advice!

Renee'

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Why not move one as a test, see how it reacts and then move more? Sometimes they get a bit annoyed to be moved.

Good idea, pirl!

(Zone 3b)

Oh Green Eyes! So lovely. Can't find them anywhere around here.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

My Razz didn't come back this year.... :( That was $18 down the drain.

Major bummer on the Razz.

Green Eyes is very nice!

Rose

It really is a bummer when you spend $18. for one season.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

You got that right!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Al: I adore that Greeneyes...and like Muddbear said, I haven't seen it anywhere. Did you buy yours locally or mailorder?

I also am really wanting Meadowbrite now after seeing your, Rsquared.

This is a new one for me this year. "Harvest Moon".
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Beautiful!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That is a very nice photo Deb.

I actually got Green Eyes local, which is suprising since Terra Nova stuff is more rare this year. I am very happy with the petals staying flat on it - I like that style. I haven't checked - maybe Garden Crossings has it.

Why do the magnus flowers fade this time of year? And is it normal for them to need staking so they don't flop over?

My Magnus in sun do fade. In shade their fine.

But plantfiles says they prefer full sun. They do look like they've been "bleached", though...I'm confused!

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Like DebinSC, I'd like to know where to order the Meadowbrite coneflowers. Love Pixie and Orange Meadowbrite. Is O M the same as Mango?

All your pictures are beautiful!

Mine do get a touch of sun but more shade than sun. I know what the books and instructions say but I also know the bleaching and I don't like it.

Thanks, pirl--nothing like the voice of experience!

I'd take photos but you already know what they look like bleached or not and I just finished with another 6 hours of working outside.

Yikes--that's a long time in the heat! You know, I even wondered if it would help if I watered them with purple food coloring in the water...LOL

Ala my Robin's Egg Blue Astilbe?

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.