monster phlox

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

I've planted phlox in my gardens for the first time. I know I didn't order anything over 3', as they were planted in the "middle height" areas of the gardens. About 8 of them are 6 - 7' tall. Do I have to move them, or can I trim them? Will they regrow if I do? now or later? Would it have been okay to trim them earlier (looks like their ready to bloom soon)? Thanks for any information/suggestions. Have a great day.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

daisey - I have cut back tall Phlox - but not this late. I would live with it this year and either move it in the Fall or leave it and cut it back earlier next year. Probably around early June if it has already had good growth. Second advantage of this is that it delays the bloom time. Good luck!

Victor

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Victor. That was the answer I was hoping for. I thought I had remembered Pirl responding that she cut some also, but I can't always trust my memory. We had been discussing a possible September wedding in our yard, so I added phlox and asters to be sure we had color in the gardens. Good thing that wedding was put back a year. I have to learn to co-exist with these phlox. Thanks again. Have a great day.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Daisy, cutting them (in Spring) is fine. Be fearless. You will get more and smaller flowerheads. A good tip is to cut the front half down further than the back. This will delay bloom a little longer, giving you a first bloom in the back followed by a slightly later bloom in front. You get longer total bloom time and the later bloom can hide the fading of the back.

Dave

Dave, how would it hide the fading back ones if they are taller?? (My back faded long ago.)

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

perhaps just drawing your eye to the bloom rather than the fade?

Possibly, but if there's something fading standing taller behind, it's kind of hard to ignore.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Anita is right, but also the plant & bloom in front will cover up the fading plant minus blooms in back.

But do you cut the back plants down to the size of the blooming front ones?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I deadhead the back ones or cut back to the rebloom point.That is enough, usually (no extra cutting)

Do you cut back all your perennials in Fall or Spring? I leave most of mine until Spring. Something to look at in the snow, seeds for the birds and I can remember where things are while planning new stuff.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree with Dave and Victor. I just had no choice but to cut one plant right down to stubs because I planted Delphiniums too close. We'll all find out what happens - if they bloom or not....if they even grow or not!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Victor, I've done both. These days I would plan to cut everyhing down that isn't attractive (I leave echinacea, hellebores, sedum- autumn joy ,not much else) But I don't always do what I plan.

Yes, I cut back the stuff that gets mushy and ugly in the Fall - if I get around to it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.