Gorgeous tomato plant.....

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

No tomatoes. What's wrong with my plant? I have other plants near it that are producing fruit but this one has NOT ONE! Do I just pull it up and give up or is there hope? It's a pretty good size plant.

Thanks!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

It's a late-season tomato, probably. What cultivar?

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

HA! I have no clue! I picked up different ones from Lowes and of course this plant's tag is gone. I know I grabbed 'Lemon Boy', "Mr Stripey", "Better Boy", & "Beefmaster". I remember I tried to get ones that were different from the norm and also that were meaty. I know this all really helps you! :)

I has lots of flowers but is not producing fruit. I wonder if I should spray some of that hormone on them that is made just for this????

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Why don't you post this in the Tomatoes forum with a pic of the plant. The knowledgeable folks over there might be able to tell you what is wrong, or, if nothing is wrong! I myself have a beefsteak with loads of buds and blossoms, but no tomatoes yet, while my Sweet 100's is already producing.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

The cherries usually produce first. There are early, mid and late season tomatoes. I'd just sit it out and wait... your plant should produce in its time.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks bolino. I'll do that tonight!!

Richmond, VA

Gardengirl1204,

You might want to take a q-tip and gently tickle the inside of the flowers. Sometimes, a little stimulation of the flowers helps to make the fruit come on a little sooner. Also, Richmond has had some really hot weather these past ten days, that will slow development of fruit. Try the q-tip treatment, or use a small artist brush on the flowers. We don't have many bee's to do the job of pollinating.

Arias

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

So let me get this straight. I need to go outside to my tomato plant and tickle the blooms with a Q-tip to stimulate it?? Well, it works for my DH! LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist!

I was out watering them tonight and lo and behold, there were some small fruits on it. I couldn't believe it. I swear they weren't there yesterday!!!

It's good to see another Richmonder on DG. I'm in Short Pump. Thanks so much for the tip. I'll try it so maybe the rest of the blooms will get going.

Thanks so much Arias!!

Richmond, VA

Gardengirl1204,

I thought about what I said after I had posted the message. I didn't realize how kinky it sounded, but it does work. On D.H's and tomatoes. The things we gardeners do to bring in a harvest. The q-tip trick works on squash, peppers and cucumbers. I learned this trick from an old farmer, my grandpa. He always had the first vegetables in the neighborhood.

So give it a try, and you'll really see the little tomatoes pop out in less than a week.

Arias

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.