Weed and Feed tolerant veggies?

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Help! I need to know if there are any veggies that I can grow that can handle herbicides. The problem is that some of the hay bales I'm growing veggies in seem to have been grown using an herbicide like "weed and feed". Lets the hay grow, but nothing else, I guess? Having never used this stuff, I don't know what can tolerate it. The only thing I can think of is corn, which I think is just a really big grass?
Sigh. The other bale plants are doing so well I hate to see these go to waste.
Thanks,
Margo

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

The other question might be whether you want to eat something that's been treated with an unidentified herbicide. I had this problem with some of my bales last year. Nothing in them thrived and it took me a while to figure out why.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I thought of that, but considering that these same chemicals are used to grow wheat that I eat, I may be willing to take a shot with these. I've been following some discussions of veggies that survive herbicide drift, and no-one seems concerned about using them. It's also possible that drift has been the cause of my tomatoes problems, as my SO says they have recently sprayed the side of the road with something. To confuse matters further, these tomatoes have other things in common. They all came from the same vendor, all planted after everything else, all just beginning to set fruit. Not all of the plants are affected. So many variables that I just don't know what's what. This is not the choice I'd make if I had it, but I don't. Have a hay delivery coming today, and I'll ask him what is commonly used around here, and if he uses anything. If not, I'll get him to supply some (what he's bringing today are round bales) and I'll use those.
I would appreciate any more info, just to know more. This does kinda put a crimp in my attempt to remain organic.....
Thanks,
Margo

This message was edited Jul 10, 2007 7:54 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.