Columbine seeds

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

I have been collecting the seeds from my columbine. I have read that you can (should) put daylily seeds in cold storage for up to 6 weeks. Does anyone know if you can retain columbine seeds for planting at a later date? What would be the best time for starting them?
Chuck

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Chuck:

We've been collecting our Columbine seeds, too. I think, if I remember correctly, this website will help you a whole bunch.
http://www.wintersown.org/

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Candy,
I'll have to check it out after work. I'd like to be able to give some plants away next year.

You're welcome. Be careful though, that site is addictive. You may also want to check out the Winter Sowing forum here at Dave's, too.

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

I love that site.. I had been there briefly and only just now checked out eveything that they have. What a great site.. Too bad winter is so far away! This will be my first year giving WS a try and I have already started shopping for seeds. :)

Melly:

I have never WS'd, but I can't wait to start. I am collecting gallon milk jugs and the family looks at me like I'm crazy. So, OK - I am!! And we just went to HD last weekend and picked up some garden soil. I think I will sneak a bag or two of it to keep just for myself!!

So, yes. This year I will be trying my hand at winter sowing. And I'll be more active on that forum. It would be fun to compare notes.

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Candy! Lol.. I started collecting jugs last week and have about 20 now.. DH has been rolling his eyes at my growing stash.. I haven't given in and bought soil yet so don't tempt me!! ;)

I was just looking over one of the Seed sites that was suggested on the WS forum JL Hudsons.. They have a lot to offer but it isn't as easy to navigate as some.

I am excited about giving it a try since we found out that we have more land than we initially thought we had. Lots of room for new gardens!

Mel..

P.s Sorry for gettin your thread off topic Chuck... :) You know you want to give WS a try!

This message was edited Jul 10, 2007 2:10 PM

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

No problem, good to hear from you Mellisa.
Chuck

Melissa:

Not to tempt you, but have you looked at valueseeds.com?

My My!! What a tempting array!!
(my apologies to Chuck)

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Candy,

Too late for that... already checked them out and have seeds on the way!

Melissa, you crack me up!

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I don'y know about storing or collecting Columbine seed, I have been successful in scattering the seed from my plants around the garden in places where I want the columbines to grow, mainly spots in high shade. It is easy and I have gradually accumulated a large population of quite different plants The hardiness question is taken carre of by the winter temperatures if you sow the seed now.

arfitz - I see that you are a Zone south of me, which means your winter low temps are probably not as cold as mine get. I wonder if it would be feasible to let the Columbines go to seed and let the 'seeds fall where they may' and hope for plants next season? What do you think? It gets mighty cold here! And I love my Columbine!!!

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

My thought was to try and store (cold storage) seeds till next spring. I have no way to keep them in a greenhouse setting. I hope to replant a bed next spring and I'm not sure what or where things will go.
Can the seeds be saved till next spring?
Chuck

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I just spread my Columbine seed as I collect it. It's what the plant does naturally anyway!

Thanks, Victor. I was wondering if just spreading them, or letting them spread themselves would be OK.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We just let them go to seed. They seem to love growing in wood chips.

Pirl:

Thanks. That's what we did with our one and only Columbine last year. This year, it REALLY took off and gave us some lovely blooms. In fact, it's still blooming. So, we bought it a 'sister' and we'll see what happens for next year. (We are already making noises that sound an awful lot like 'I can't wait until NEXT spring' - LOL!)

They seem to throw seed far and wide. You should have many plants next spring: enjoy!

Thumbnail by pirl

Oh Pirl! How lovely!! That's just what I want things to look like in a few years. Thanks for posting that photo.

There really is a path in there - honest!

LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.