What is this plant

Elgin/So Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Supposedly it grows in abundance by beaches. It is quite stunning, can it be grown as a houseplant in zone 5?

Thumbnail by AngelsGardener
Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Looks like the yucca blooms? Tall spike coming up from ball of shin, stiff, sharp leaves?

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Yucca. Probably can grow outside in zone 5. They're pretty hardy.

I purchased one recently from someone in MI. She had it planted in the ground, and it was in bloom when she sent it. I can't say as I ever saw one growing as a house plant.

Karen

I had one in London, England (not sure of the zone) but it bloomed regularly. Beautiful!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Yuccas are everywhere in zone 5. You can't kill them. And you can't contain them.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Most yuccas are pretty hardy and I imagine several varieties would be hardy to zone 5. You probably wouldn't want it indoors unless it were in a place you can't get to...those spikes hurt and sometimes seem to leave some type of irritant behind when they poke you. Here's one of mine that the blooms turn wine colored with age

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

I think some variety of Yucca must grow nearly everywhere.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I've never liked the name - Yucca - because it sounds so ugly for a very handsome plant. Then I moved out here to the islands and the phrase Yokwe yuk became a constant in my vocabulary....which is Marshallese for "love to everyone". Now I think the name is very nice....It is a faithful, hardy and handsome addition to any garden. But as tropicanna said above - keep children and wandering backsides away from the spikes - they are painful!

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

And never expect to get one out of a field it's not wanted in!

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Shari,

What a neat saying. I'll have to tell Katie and Rhea. Thank you for sharing that.

I, too, think the yuccas are beautiful plants. The one I purchased is called Adam's Needle.

Karen

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Karen, How strange that I hadn't said it to you before! I almost always do! Must have been just cuz I was so concerned with tellling you so much other stuff! Ha Ha! How did that little problem work out?

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Shari,

You did tell me the phrase, but not what it meant. LOL

I decided just to leave it alone and see how it played out.

Karen

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well, ya shoulda asked!!! LOL! Sometimes I'm a dork. I don't think that people may not know what I'm sayin!!!!

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Shari,

Yep, shoulda asked!!

Karen

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info! We were driving thru the neighborhood yesterday and actually saw one in bloom! They are beautiful! I have two large plants and they have never bloomed. Any secrets to it? Maybe it's a different type of yucca....

This message was edited Jul 31, 2007 9:12 AM

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

My yuccas have to be pretty old, that may have something to do with it, either that or I keep them pretty well stressed, cause most of them have bloomed every year.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll have to drive back over there and take the camera, then I can compare it to the one I have in the backyard. If it's not the same, I wouldn't mind having one. It sure is pretty!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Would be interested in seeing the pictures. The one I have in my yard hasn't bloomed yet, but it's still pretty young.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oops just posted the yucca picture to the wrong thread, here goes again....

this is one from the neighborhood...........

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

The next two are my "yucca"s from the L big box store..... Do you think they are the same?

Oops sorry.....forgot to rotate it first....oh well....not my day.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2007 8:24 PM

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Let's try this again

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the picture of the smaller yucca of mine

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I think they are different varieties. Your neighbor's looks like a flacid leaf yucca, and your's looks like what we used to call weeping yucca. I'm not sure on either though...maybe we will find a yucca expert to tell us.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I think you are right! It looks like it is weeping to me too! LOL.

It's all of the rain that we have had. It's sad....it wants some sunshine!!!!!

That would be great!

We need a yucca expert! H E L P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laie, HI

I was told in Guatemala that the people there eat the flowers in a scrambled egg sort of dish. Anybody know anything about this? Any recipe for it and preparation directions. Thanks. Aloha

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That's certainly interesting! No, no recipes, no blooms on my yuccas either!
Do like scrambled eggs tho! LOL Will be watching for blooms and recipes!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Neat! Marked it as a favorite in recipes....now just need the blooms....hmmmm, wonder if the neighbor still has any on their tree down the block! LOL

Has anyone actually eaten any of this first hand? (Edited to correct bad spelling...sorry!)

This message was edited Aug 15, 2007 4:45 PM

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

77*snap, snap*....I was gonna ask the same thing! Just cuz one CAN, doesn't necessarily mean one WANTS to! So....any brave souls out there that can tell us what it tastes like? And don't say "chicken"!

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

I'm gonna try it! Next summer when the yucca is in bloom! All I have now is seed pods and some crafters use them. Kids love the stalks for fort building etc... DH hates the whole plant. They are nearly impossible to get out of our fields. Common name here is not allowed on this site! Maybe if they are useful he will let go of his vendetta! ;-0

Laie, HI

Hey...thanks for such a quick response on the yucca flower recipe. Now I have to try it ....after I have harvested some flowers at a local tourist resort. :0) Aloha

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

OK...then you can tell us what it tastes like!

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Alos saw a mention of "a recipe of the yucca flowers called "flor de novia" where the flowers are scrambled with tomatoes, chiles, onion and eggs." Could not find the recipe but you might want to play around a little. Sure wish mine weren't all gone! Please tell us what it's like!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Such brave souls! :-) I figure anything that prickly just doesn't want to be eaten! But then - artichokes aren't exactly the worlds most appetizing looking little beastie, but they sure taste good! So....maybe.....

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Really.....artichokes, Shari? Will take your word for it! How do you prepare them?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ohhhhh, how don't I would be easier. Marinate the hearts and put them in salads, omelets, casseroles....yum! I make this dish with cheese, green chilis, artichoke hearts and bottoms and eggs. Baked up almost like a quiche or strata. Cut small it makes a great appetizer, cut larger it is a yummy side dish for roasted chicken or fish. I always put them on antipasto platters.....they are a staple at our house. And every once in a while I do the steam and peel thing....nice appetizer when you are having company that likes to gab away instead of just getting right down to the business of eatting.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

hmmm, neat! Will have to think about that one! Learn something new everyday!!!
You I trust, so we'll see!!!!!!! Thanks for the info!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

My pleasure! :-) :-)))

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Stellmarina, nice to have another HI person on board!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Aha! I knew you two would cross paths eventually! Now as soon as Carol chimes in the HI contingent will be all together. Hope you all stay safe and relatively (!) dry....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.