Larkspur

Burleson, TX(Zone 7b)

I planted some seeds a year ago...they came up this year.....did they ever come up! They don't seem to like hot weather....or to much water....I have a problem with them getting to tall and falling over.....any ideas?...these were a year ago....Having computer trouble now so I can't post this years pictures....

Thumbnail by Foobosh
North Augusta, ON

I bought a bag of green bamboo stakes about 3 feet long....$1 at the dollar store...I stake each plant and tie them up...otherwise they do fall over....but you can't even see the little green stakes....

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Foobosh, what is that planted with them?

it looks like canna lillies in the back ground. the bananna leafy plant. :) pretty larkspur.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Foobush, beautiful larkspur! Did you plant the seeds directly in the ground? What time of year?

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I just threw some seeds out one year and now they come up in early Spring every year. When it starts to get warm--like now---I start pulling them all out. I just shake the seeds and they will come back, some in the Fall and most next spring. This photo is of some of them back in the shady area by the roses just last week.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

And here were some in May of this year. I originally planted a mix of pink, white and purple but they come back mostly white and purple. I think there are some pinks in this photos though.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Has anyone else had luck with self sown Larkspur? Is it fragrant?

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful photos!!! So, if I let my one larkspur plant go to seed, I should get some babies? I love this flower!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes, caitlain--my larkspur are allowed to reseed yearly. This was a surprise for me this year as I also let poppies reseed. Nature does make some great combos all by herself!

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Cactuspatch,

Larkspur are beautiful and yes Nature does make great combos. Are they called California poppies and do they also bloom in hot weather? I just love them but was always told they can only grow in California all season long and in my area only in the Spring.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes they are called California or Mexican poppies. They do bloom all season here but these are spent and others have come up and are blooming. I don't know if they would rebloom if I just cut them back. I always have more blooming so just pull them up.

Caitlain, larkspur are not fragrant. I have allergies and try not to plant fragrant plants. My roses make the whole yard smell heavenly anyhow, would not want competing smells.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.