CLOSED: Is this ....

Klamath River, CA

a cow bird running with the Blackbirds, or a female Brewer's?

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Orwell, VT

I believe that the lighter colored bird is a female cowbird and the rest are males.

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't know about the lighter one, but the males look like brown-headed cowbirds to me. But, I'm no expert. Where's Resin? lol. ;P

~Kris

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, they're all Brown-headed Cowbirds. Note the short, thick bills compared to Brewer's, and the dark brown heads of the males.

Quoting:
Where's Resin? lol. ;P

At 5:24 a.m., sound asleep!

Resin

Starkville, MS

I highly dislike Cowbirds!!!! They do not build nests - they lay an egg here and an egg there in other bird's nests. The parent birds expend *major* energy and food feeding the baby cowbird which is usually larger than the actual genetic babies. I have lost many Wrens, Bluebirds, and even Cardinals to this *mooch*!!!! The parent bird will feed whatever is in the nest. The cowbird babies are much more aggressive and tend to get the bulk of the food thereby surviving better than the parent's real offspring.

Marlton, NJ

Yes, their brood parasites but at least their native. Although not good, there are much worse birds than these.

Starkville, MS

You got that right!

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
At 5:24 a.m., sound asleep!

Well, now we know that DG displays your local time for everyone's posts. I posted that at 12:24 am, Chicago time. Not that late for me, hehe. Guess I'm 5 hours behind UK time. Time zones confuse me. You should've heard my Irish friend yell at me when I called her in the middle of the night. Apparently, I figured out the time difference wrong, oops! :O

~Kris... hey, I was right about the cowbirds, though, woo-hoo! LOL! ;P

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Well, now we know that DG displays your local time for everyone's posts

Yep - if it didn't, then you'd get all sorts of funny things happening, like posts being tagged with the day before the previous post, and suchlike!

Resin

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Ahhhhhh, that makes sense, lol.

~Kris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.