Salvia 'Penny's Smile'

London, United Kingdom

A new hybrid from the UK. I collected a few seeds from the wonderful hybrid "Silkes Dream" last year, and this was one of the results. A vigorous and floriferous plant, already 4 ft. tall, and does not have the sprawling tendencies of Silke's Dream. The flowers are a lovely deep pink, unlike the scarlet/orange shade of the parent. Heaven knows what this hybrid has hybridised with, I grow so many species in close proximity. The large flowers are not dissimilar to S. involucrata 'Joan' in colour and shape, but the foliage is just like 'Silkes Dream'.

Penny's Smile has been named after a dear friend of Yoke van der Meer, a National Salvia Collection Holder in the UK. Penny died prematurely, at an early age. Yoke always wanted to have a plant named after her. I sincerely hope that this plant will be acceptable.

Robin.

Thumbnail by 2salvia
Hebron, KY

Robin,

She would have been very happy and loved it very much! That is a gorgeous color of pink! I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Marilyn

London, United Kingdom

Thank you, Marilyn, for your comments! The picture does not do the flowers justice, It has been so windy this week, focussing has been a nightmare! Novice with the new camera, might throw it away and get something better!

'Penny's Smile' has great potential, very floriferous, nice colour, and perhaps too vigorous?

I will propagate many plants from cuttings....but it is setting seeds also....Heaven knows what the results of these may be!!! But......always exciting!

Robin.

Robin,

that is a beautiful flower, lovely clear pink. I wonder if it would be a good hummingbird plant? Can you tell if there is any nectar?

Nancy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There is no such thing as a salvia that's too vigorous! As long as they have pretty flowers at least. That one is really beautiful!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I have Silke's Dream also and have a lot of my salvias planted in close proximity. I'm collecting seed and can't wait to see what surprises I get..maybe I'll get lucky and come up with one as nice. What fun to have all of these possibilities awaiting us.

What are the dimensions of the lower lip of this great flower, Robin? Such a nice pink color!

Did you know Penny?

Joseph

London, United Kingdom

The flowers are larger than those of Silke's Dream. 1.1 inches across, and 0.6 inches tall.

The plant is almost 4 ft tall, this from seed sown just 4 months ago.

I did not know Penny.

Robin.

What a treat to have it flower for you in that short period of time. I have a Salvia coccinea that was supposed to be white but flowered red with tones of pink. At first I was going to rip it out of the ground in a fit, but decided to leave it to see how this color form performs.

Hebron, KY

Gerris,

Your Salvia sounds pretty! Post a photo of the red with tones of pink flowers.

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Robin,

Quoting:
The flowers are larger than those of Silke's Dream. 1.1 inches across, and 0.6 inches tall.

The plant is almost 4 ft tall, this from seed sown just 4 months ago.

That's great! How exciting!

Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.