Cannas as cut flowers

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Does anyone know if cannas make good cut flowers and at what stage -- as buds or open flowers -- they should be cut? I did a search of this forum and couldn't find any information on whether they make good cut flowers or not. Thanks!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

clare, I've never used them as cut flowers and they are so pretty. I may cut some today and get back w/ ya.

Thanks, Nery! Hugs,

Nery, I decided to cut two stalks and give it a try too. I don't usually see cannas in bouquets of cut flowers, but I don't know why. I guess we'll find out!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

nice. I take it the cannas are the ones still closed. we should really swap glad bulbs. I have a red one w/ a yellow center. would love to have one of your yellows w/ red center. that would be kinda neat to have them growing together.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Ive Used theam as cut flowers a few times they really dont make the best cut flowers they will last about a day Paul

Nery, no need to send me anything. I'm up to my eyeballs in plants. I've got your address and will send you some of mine. It's no problem. You know how I hate shipping stuff, but for a sweetheart such as you, I would be happy to. Just give me a little time to dig them up and package them up;-) How did your 'Brad's White' plumie cuttings do? I can send you a couple of those if you need them too.

Thanks, Paul!

Clare, just for you: I cut a flower of my Australis and my Dwarf Yellow Pfitzer. Will let you know how long they last. I think they look purdy. The red flower didn't come out as red as it is in real life.

Thumbnail by vossner

another view. When first moved in this house, I spend HOURS pulling out canna planted in totally wrong places. I swore I would never grow a canna. Well, as I am scouting the yard for canna blooms I counted 10 diff. varieties. For a canna "hater" that sure is a lot of them, isn't it? lol

Thumbnail by vossner

LOL, Nery! Thanks for cutting those just for me. I think they look pretty too. I look forward to hearing your results about how long the flowers last. I too spent some time pulling out cannas, but they were ones that I had planted in the wrong place! LOL! I'm not a big canna fan either, but I do love my 'Cleopatra.' She is just so showy tucked in with the gingers.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

hmmmmm. I forgot my Cleopatra. Make that 11 cannas, pls.

report: I agree w/ Phicks. One day would be about it, and the bloom would have to be at its peak, to begin with.

Nery, I have mine in the house, and they look great! I cut the stalk as all the flowers were buds, and they are opening beautifully. Maybe it is all in the timing of when the flower stalk is cut?

I think you're right. I said "Peak" but it's probably better to cut them when buds, for longer life.

It could be that some cultivars do better than others. My thin red seedling with small flowers isn't keeping as well as the bigger "Cleopatra" with a thicker stalk. Here is the bouquet four days later. I've pulled off the spent glad blooms. Thanks for helping me figure out this mystery, Nery!

This message was edited Jul 13, 2007 10:28 AM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Canna blooms make excellent short term cut flowers for just one day.
However, their foliage will last and last.
Their foliage , especially the variegated, used with other longer lasting blooms makes for spectacular arrangements.
Alice

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.