unusual hibiscus foliage

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

these seedlings are from a cross of two Yoder plants. H. Reggae Wind X H. Flaming Wind. Very different leaves to say the least.Sure don't look like tropical hibiscus HUH?

Kyle :-)

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Another pic

Thumbnail by Eclipse
San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Kyle, are you sure those pics are of hibiscus?? Or, maybe something else illicit that is often grown hydroponically???? (j/k, LMAO!)

If those are the leaves, I can't wait to see the flowers :-)

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

they are hibiscus, the other stuff is wild along the highways here.. LOL

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

LOL...
I hope the trunks will be strong enough to hold blooms. Very unusual looking plants for hibiscus.

...take two rolling papers and a match - then call me in the morning...

LMAO! You left out the part where you eat some twinkies ;-)

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Not twinkies...Brownies!!!! LOL LOL LOL
Kyle

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

One of my landscapers got arrested in Hou for having Texas Star Hibiscus w/o blooms on them! True story!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Sounds like un informed cops to me...everyone knows that weed don't bloom pretty..LOL LOL

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The parents have normal leaves? Those are cool, Kyle!

Oh contraire Kyle. Most growers think they do bloom so pretty, actually prettier. Only reason to grow it. LOL

Here you can actually go to delis and buy it. I never thought I would live to see that.

LOL Kell, you MUST live in San Francisco (from what my DD says) ;-)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hysterical! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Are you sure someone is not playing a joke on you? It would be interesting to know what parent plants the Yoders used in the series.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

heres a pic of the mother(pod) plant

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

heres the pollen donor Hib. Flaming Wind they both have normal leaves.

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Alice's Restaurant just called.....they want 10 of those, lol!

All right you hipsters out there...
We're gathered here in the rain to experience Kyle's plant...
We may be muddy and stuff, but we can all groove on his experience...
...just remember not to take the purple acid, man. It's bad man...
WOW MAN!!! Breakfast in bed for 500,000!!!
OMG!!! Kyle! You've just given me a Woodstock Wavy Gravy flashback!!!

...but...are you experienced???.....well, so am I....
Purple Haze!!!
Oh yeah!

This message was edited Jul 9, 2007 11:57 PM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Experienced at what? Are you talking Jimi Hendrix or going on a vacation? LOL Liz. I went to college in the early 70s and survived. Rolling Stone just had a whole aritcle about Wavy Gravy. LOL

Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just dont seem the same
Actin funny, but I dont know why
scuse me while I kiss the sky
Purple haze all around
Dont know if Im comin up or down
Am I happy or in misery?
What ever it is, that girl put a spell on me
Help me
Help me

You guys are killing me, lmao!! It's all about Jefferson Airplane and the White Rabbit ;-) Or actually, I'm pretty partial to the Doors first album, which I believe came out in 1967 as well (although I guess they were from Venice/LA, not SF). Our local San Bernardino paper has been running a feature with people talking about their experiences 40 years ago at the Haight, since it's the big 1967-2007 anniversary. Over the years, various things have caused some flashbacks, but flashbacks on a post, well that's a first!!!

When we moved Amy up to SF two years ago, I had to have my picture taken on the corner of Haight and Ashbury and at the City Lights bookstore (where I was awestruck and bought a hoodie & bookbag). That's saying something cuz I HATE having my picture taken and usually avoid it at all costs. LOL - I'm so glad I found this site, I really like you guys...

karen, who has more than "a touch of grey" mixed in with the red, and will "keep on truckin" to the freezer for some Cherry Garcia ice cream

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

We didn't have Cherry Garcia here in Texas in the 60's that I know of.
Isn't that a Yankee ice cream? lol
Blue Bell only made one flavor back then! Vanilla, I think! lol
Ya'll know Blue Bell, right? That's the one that comes fr contented cows! And the drivers eat all they can & sell the rest!!! & they still use that slogan today! lol

LOL, I had already moved to SC in the mid 60's and those *distasteful* things going on elsewhere were just not even discussed. The nightly national news was our pipeline to the outside world.

Sorry to hijack your thread Kyle, but this is what you're dealing with!!!

Enjoy hipsters!!!

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z72/pantzone/?action=view¤t=Remember.flv

This message was edited Jul 10, 2007 10:43 AM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Is that Tom Rush? He is singing about my life. Oh NO an old Tom Rush. How does this happen to us?

The more I see Kyle's new hibiscus leaves the more I think that maybe he ate a few brownies when he was potting up his hibiscus seeds. So odd that normal leafed hibiscus leaves would make those. I just can't wait till they flower. How many of these odd seedlings did you get, Kyle?

Gordo that was just too funny! Yes, I too am wondering about Kyle's brownie eating, lol ;-) Could be the most interesting hibiscus cross EVER...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

That fits me alot of the time!
:~)

OMG, Tom was really singing about me. LOL

When I came out of the grocery store the other day I couldn't find my car keys.
They kept making announcements about a BMW with the lights on but I just KNEW that couldn't have been my car because the lights go out automatically when you turn the car off. Turns out that not only had I left the keys in the unlocked car but I also left the ignition running.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Alice you are me!!! That is a great one. Does your husband give you that shocked kind of disgusted look when you do these things? I always glare back and say this is the best I am ever going to be so get over it!! LOL

My best car story is I was shopping and got back into my car and decided to eat a sandwich before I took off for the next place. So I turned the key a bit till I could turn on the radio. I sat there munching and eating and singing along. Then all done, I put the car in reverse and it would not go. I put it in forward, reverse back and forth and it would not go at all. It might have been I couldn't even get the car to change gears, I can't remember.......LOL! I called Tom telling him the stupid car was broken yet again. ( It had run out of gas a few weeks before and stopped running, just went dead in the middle of the road. I called Tom to come, insisting it was really badly broken this time) Then I noticed I had never turned the ignition all the way on to listen to the radio. And to make it much worse, I did the same thing a few weeks later!!

Hey Alice, I do not think we should be admitting these mental lapses. LOL Maybe the 70s did more damage than we knew. LOL

Look on the bright side, Kyle. Your thread may have been hijacked, but you may be on the cusp of a major Hibiscus cartell.

"...COME AND MEET MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!"

I am laughing so hard it hurts. A hibiscus cartell, what a riot!

Kell, we always say I have alice-heimers; and yes, Phil does give me those exasperated looks - on a daily basis actually.

Alice-heimer's, eh?
I'm fifty...and I can kick!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aou8pCr3MtY

Wow, I get those same looks from MY DH :-)

I LOVE the idea of a hibiscus cartel ;-)

amarantha, aka karen, aka bubble girl, aka tony montana

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Sounds like some people need therapy!!! LOL LOL

Kell I have about 30 of these little guys.No doubt they will change over time as they get taller.

;-)~

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds like to me that some people are way beyond therapy! LOL

You need to keep us updated, Kyle. Thay really are too cool.

Kyle...did you know that if you plant a bong, you may well expect a bong tree?
This is also true of T-Bone steaks - T-Bone in ground...1 year from sprout to grill.

...and what better way to stave off even the mightiest of munchies!
I rest my case...which, by the way, they wouldn't let me bring on the plane.

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk...

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

note the foliage on this .
my friend bought 4 unnamed Hib. on sale
this was the only one with this type leaves .
i layered a branch and got a start of it . don't know if hardy or not lady said at nursery all were Hardy her supplier left name tags out in shipping
so she refused to pay and sold them to my friend at a steal

Thumbnail by tazzy
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

close up on flower ,
gee if flowers this petty what would leaves taste like .
HMMMM

Thumbnail by tazzy
Santa Rosa, CA

Ok, that was the funniest thread I have ever seen on a plant forum. Congratulations! Kyle I've never seen leaves like but DUDE, they are AWESOME man!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I knew that Chernobyl fertilizer was good! even if these do glow in the dark...green is a pretty color for a night light. :-)

Kyle

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Far out man.

Settle down smelly hippies.

I've actually been to a few dead shows (had a couple deadhead friends) and still don't like hippies. Get a job pothead. We'll all make are own community and live off the land. Isn't that called being farmers?
LOL, just fooling with you.

BTW those leaves don't look like anything illegal to me.

(Zone 11)

I can definitely see the reggae side of the family expressing itself. :~)

I've got some similar ones that are a little smaller,
I'll try to get a few pic's of them soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.