Okra in Pots

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Can okra be grown in containers? If so, what is the best size?

BB

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I grow most of my okra in pots. As with anything, bigger is better, but they even do well in 2 gallon pots.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

BB...

Okra can get pretty tall (Clemson Spineless, Long Pod, etc) but there are varieties that are a bit more miniature..."Baby Bubba" comes to mind and it tops out around 4 ft. (I grew it last year in my garden but wasn't impressed with the texture/taste of it but perhaps it was just the environmental conditions last year.)

Should you decide to do containers I'd suggest a pot(s) at least 12 inches deep and just as wide. Preferably the pots will be squared up from top to bottom and not tapered (small at the bottom and wider at the top) so there is less risk of tipping problems.

Okra...ya gotta love it!

Shoe

Thanks to both of you.

Just needed to know for a class I'm teaching at our Farmer's Market

BB

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Great! I'm going to try with some big storage containers. The hay bales I was planning to plant it (and other things) in seem to be toxic, so I needed an alternative. I have an old bathtub that I'll use for my squashes.
Thanks,
Margo

Orange Park, FL

Bronx,
A few years back I bought a few of those 40 pound bags of composted cow manure at home depot (the cheap kind, about 1.25 per bag). Also bought a bag of cypress mulch.
I just cut the top of the manure bag off and dumped into a wheelbarrow. Then added about 1-2 gallons of mulch and mixed it up pretty well. Took that mixture and refilled the plastic manure bag, standing it on end. When completely filled the bag is about 20 inches tall and about 9-10 inches diameter.
I planted the clemson spineless seeds in the bags and they grew like crazy. I don't recall that I ever added any fertilizer. Anyway, I started the seeds around the middle of April. And by the middle of November the plants were between 6 and 7 feet tall. I had to stand them along a chain link fence and tie the bags to the fence to keep them from falling over. By the end of the growing season here (mid december) I was using a small step ladder to get to the top of the plants. The plant roots had grown to the bottom of the bags and out thru small drainage holes in the bags, and into the dirt under the bags.
Is that container growing? I'd call it container growing for the poor man. BTW, at the end of the season I dumped those bags of manure into my raised beds. The following season I did it all over again with new bags of cow manure. The plastic bags are not UV resistant, so they are only good for one growing season.

Wow:

Good tip blmlb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.