Mexican Marigold

Waco, TX(Zone 8a)

Tagetes lucida (winter tarragon)
Has anyone grown this from seed?
I live in Waco, TX 8b and understand that it would do well in my area.
Wondered if I should start the seeds indoors...
Also will it die back in winter here?

Ashland, OH(Zone 6a)

I've never heard of winter tarragon. What exactly is it? I have french tarragon, but it spreads by the roots, not with seeds. hmmmmmm....now you've got me curious!

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

AuntyB: Tagates Lucida is a variety of Marigold, which is used as a Tarragon substitute. It is an annual for us up north. They grow it in the south as the French Tarragon does not grow well in the south, French Tarragon needs our cold winters to go dormant to survive.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I've been growing "French Tarragon" here in NC for about 6 yrs. Yes, it goes dormant (I cut it down to the roots in the fall) then it comes back each yr. Mexican Tarragon is also known as Winter tarragon AND contains the oils that the real French Tarragon has (unlike Russian Tarragon which is what you DON'T want). But get this folks...after exploring the site of the following URL I really wonder if I've actually been growing Winter Tarragon these past yrs... the leaves in the pic look more like my tarragon than the much more slender leaves of French Tarragon. Go to this Url and read, then click on the high-lited "French Tarragon to read more. http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Tage_luc.html

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Oy vey....just found another bit of info ... now I'm duped! At the following URL is a picture of what I have been growing (except mine have never flowered as much)...ya'll better check it out. Also there is a good-looking recipe for white beans and tarragon soup!http://www.sallys-place.com/food/columns/gilbert/tarragon.htm

Dequincy, LA(Zone 8b)

I have been growing Mexican mint marigold for several years. I started out with a couple of plants. They have now spread and I have several large clumps. The foliage dies back during the 2-3 months of coldest weather here in SW Louisiana. The plants get about 24 inches tall, have narrow leaves, and in spring and fall have small yellow flowers. The foliage smells strongly like licorice. Thus, the nickname of "rootbeer plant". I cut the old dead branches back to the ground in spring and the plant puts out from the roots. It is a perennial down here. I like the plant because it holds up well in the heat and dry of our Gulf Coast summers. Redbug

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.