Help me identify Plant #1!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

This is the first of two "mystery" plants I have that I can't find in any of my gardening books. It was on the property when we moved in 12 years ago (used to be a small roadside stand farm), and it was found in a corner of the vegetable garden. It's a perennial, with pretty light purple flowers, and stands 2-1/2' - 3'.

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Do you have a close-up of the flowers by any chance?

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I wish I did. My cheap digital camera doesn't take close-ups well. This is the closest I could get without fuzziness. The flowers are all gone now - I guess it's a June bloomer.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

You might want to try on the Plant ID Forum. Things are usually resolved eventually there!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I don't know it. Good luck.
I'll try no. 2

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Looks like Comfrey, Symphytum officinale http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/317/ and a very healthy specimen I might add! Be forewarned, if it likes your soil, you'll have plenty for sharing in five years :)

Debbie

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Debbie, you're absolutely right!!! After looking at the photos, mine is a dead ringer for Comfrey! Funny thing is I've looked up Comfrey in my gardening books, and I have many, and my plant never looked enough like their pictures to make a confirmation. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.