Coconut palm looking pathetic

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Hello all,

My poor coconut palm has been around for some 2 years. The first pic shows it about a year and a half ago. When I get the next one, it will be as of tomorrow. :)
As you can see, it has yellowed considerably. However, the fronds are not dead or brown. I gave it some fertilizer about 2 months ago and now it seems to have greened up a little. So, I just don't know. Do I yank it due to Lethal Yellowing or actually feed it and on a good timetable? It still sends up new shoots, they are usually green and no deformity in the leaf structure. Help me help it. Pretty please!
Ana

Thumbnail by AnaM149
Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, so I go look and there is some new growth that is sorta green and the midribs are all yellow. I did notice that the tips were brown and dried. I tried to pull on them and the other fronds, but none were coming off the trunk. My poor, poor coco.

Sarasota, FL

There's nothing wrong with it. It's supposed to be colored that way. It's likely a Dwarf Golden Malayan Coconut. They flower and fruit when just a few years old. The coconuts are yellow also. When all of the coconuts died in Florida in the 1970's from lethal yellowing, this was the only one that would grow and be resistant to the disease. Now they're used in crossbreeding.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I think it looks awesome! I love that yellow color.

Coconut trees grow so slowly. This one might be ten-twelve years old. They come in green, green-gold, and golden. I think there's even one more orange colored, but not sure. Don't look too closely, their fronds are usually speckled with bug bites.

I am so lucky to see this tree out my window!

Thumbnail by
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

There are so many varieties it can make your head spin.
The dominant variety in Florida before Lethal Yellowing was the Atlantic Tall (often called Jamaican Tall). The first photo is one of mine.

A cross between the Panama Tall and Green Malayan, called a Maypan, is a very sturdy coconut. My second photo shows my Maypan.

The third photo is a young Panama Tall, which is popular in south Texas and tends to be very "cool tolerant" compared to the other varieties.

The last photo is a Fiji Dwarf. This is a true dwarf coconut that stays short and has a wide frond spread. Since they are short, you can typically keep them under tree canopy to protect from frost.

The big box stores typically sell Green Malayans and Golden Malayans. These varieties are "semi-dwarf", meaning they are slower growing but will eventually get large and tend to start fruiting at smaller sizes than the tall varieties.

Thumbnail by kinzyjr Thumbnail by kinzyjr Thumbnail by kinzyjr Thumbnail by kinzyjr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.