injured bird

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a baltimore oreold flegling with an injury I am not sure if it is a wing or what it can not fly or right it self lots of flopping around but otherwise alert I put it in a box so my cat won't eat it and If it survives the night need to know what to feed a flegling ? I put a shallow dish of water in the box and a little bit of bread help!
laura

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

saw him this after noon on the street att he end of my drive way . He was flopping around trying to fly he must have run into a car or a window or something he had no signs of being attacked by a cat and no blood I can't tell if it is a wing or more than that but he sure seems alert . I put him in my brush pile so he would be safer but a few hours later miss lilly was over ther trying to get him the poor guy . I know he is just a bird and that many fleglings don't make it to adulthood and he probably is a goner but I can't jusy walk away and let the cat have him , silly i supose
laura

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9a)

Not silly- you have a heart and aren't afraid to use it.

We live right nearby a Wildlife Rehab place called the Lindsay Wildlife Museum. It has a wildlife hospital, open seven days a week. I've taken birds and squirrels there with those such injuries, and they take them and try to nurse them back to health-
If it is not too expensive, why not call a vet that can treat birds? Maybe, just maybe, they might even take it free of charge.
If so, they will try to rehydrate the bird, and keep it warm, and maybe even administer some antibiotics. Food is not a concern right now as it needs to rest first. Sometimes the bird will recover, but don't be surprised if it passes away- that's a really big shock to its system.
Keeping it warm and calm will help it not suffer.
If the bird seems ok in some hours, go ahead and let it go, but keep Kitty inside for a while. (One of my 3 cats is a birder & I wish she wouldn't- I just lock her in while the fledgelings get their act together when I know about them.)
Good luck & love!
Chefspaz

Marlton, NJ

Look in your local phone book for wildlife rehabilation centers or maybe a vet can give you the name and phone number. Try to keep him warm and in a more darkened room. Do you have any fruit like oranges that you could cut to put near him for drinking from? I'm not sure a bowl of water is a good idea.
Thanks for trying to help him.
Heres a page that you might be able to find a rehabber in your area.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I know what you mean I try to keep lily in when I know they are fleging but she is quick! I used to have the name of a wild life rehabilitaor in my town that I have brought birds to before but I can't find the number ! the local vet will have the number but it is the week end and they are not in I once had a baby bird that I found in a parking lot , not even feathers yet. I kept it and took care of it and it eventually learned to fly it was a starling but I have never had an oreold I think they eat berries and bugs but like you said eating is the least of his troubles! it has been a few hours and it is now dark here I put her in a box with a rolled up nest and a dish of water in my bathroom so the cat can't get at her I'll see what happens in the morning . My husband did some reiki on her and she seemed calmer after
laura

Bristol, NH

I googled and the closest to you isTufts Wildlife in No. Grafton at 506-839 7981 or maybe N.E.Wildlife in East Weymouth at 781-682-4878. No water (or milk) for baby birds, they get enough moisture from their food.Try bugs or raw hamburger and you'll probably need to put it in its mouth . Hope I'm not too late. Jane 31

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.