Help! My spireas are dying

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

For the past two years I have had such a terrible time with my blue beard spireas. They start to turn yellow from the base and then work half way up the bush. Then all of a sudden one stem at a time shrivals up and dies. So far I have lost 4 plants. My husband dug one up the other day and thought he saw a rust colored substance on the roots. PLEASE, someone help me. Here's a photo.

Thumbnail by albqlp
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Here is another picture. Note the yellowing of the leaves near the base of the plant.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Oops my bad. I forgot the picture. Lets try it again.

Thumbnail by albqlp
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

How much water are they getting? It could be a watering issue, or the other possibility is some sort of soil born fungus. The soil born fungus problems can be made worse by excessive watering, but they can still kill plants anyway even if you're watering properly. If it's just overwatering, backing off to an appropriate level of water may help and some of the plants may recover, or if they die and you replace them with more of the same and are careful on the water everything should be fine. But if it's a soil born fungus that these plants are susceptible to, then there's really not much you can do to save these plants, and if you want to replant, you'll need to put the new ones somewhere else in the garden since the fungus will stay in the soil in that spot and infect any susceptible plants that you put there. If you think it's more likely that it's the soil born fungus, I would take some to your local extension office and see if they can tell you what fungus it is, that way when you go to replant the area you can look for plants that aren't susceptible to it.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I have tried - three times - to grow these. And they have died, in 3 different well drained locations, looking like yours. I thought I was achieving success the last time. They lasted a whole year, bloomed beautifully in the spring, and then died. I thought that maybe we just don't have the proper climate, with our heat and humidity. But shucks, you live in zone 7, New Mexico. I wonder where these things DO grow well.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

is that a weedmat i see under them? if you use a weedmat, be sure it's the kind that lets rain and air through, not black plastic. maybe if it is too close to the base of the plant, it is hindering it in some way. i agree, though, that it looks like a watering issue. lack of nitrogen can also cause yellowing of lower leaves.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

That's a good point about the weed fabric--even if it's the sort that lets water and air through I've heard bad things about those too, that they're not good for the soil underneath so I don't use it anymore except under paths, patios, etc but never in garden beds.

As far as climates where they do well--it could be they don't really like lots and lots of heat. They do fine for me here (avg summer temps probably about 90 but often much cooler, plus it cools off at night) and seems to me I saw people growing them when I lived in the midwest, there you have humidity but the temps probably don't get as high as TX & NM would.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

a little off subject but worth saying, i think. a friend in the florida keys bought a home about 12 years ago and the yard was full of big, old native trees. they put down black plastic (up to the base of each tree) and then covered the yard over with pea (coral) rock, as most people do down there. four years ago, all the trees started dying. they ended up losing every one of them. in reality, the trees started dying the moment they put down that plastic, but being big trees, it took that long for the full effects to show. had i known her then, i would have stopped her. sad story.

Our problem is not the daytime temps (our temps are usually lower than the midwest in the summer), but the fact that the temps don't go low enough at night for many plants to recover. Plants from the Mediterrannean areas don't like it here for that reason. Plants that you can grow in California. Sigh.

As for weed fabric. I have experience with that, and will never again use it on top of the soil. It definitely restricts, even stops, water from percolating through to the plant. I lost my azaleas after putting it down to control weeds. After the fact, I checked the water permeability and it was zero.

But I didn't use it on the bluebeards.

Good eye, trackin.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hummm, are you sure that's "Spireas"? It looks more like a Budelhia (Butterfly bush) to me. I agree with all those assessment it's a watering issue. Also, the soil could be modified. I visited my daughter there in Albuquerque NM in May. Where she lives, housing are brand new. There is no 'true garden soil" to speak of. Just sand, dirt, and chert, it appears.
If it's Butterfly bush, it does tolerate the climate there well. Other beauties; Red Bird of Paradise, Blue Vitex, ect. I don't know how Spireas adapt to the dried, hot weather there during the summer. (Didn't have one to compare).
Back home, in the SE, sprireas do well, both the weeping bridal sprireas, and the pink Japanese sprireas. Once established, they are drought tolerant here too, in our HOT and HUMID climate they flourish, even under shady area.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much for all of your help. I am so sad that I am having a hard time with these bushes. When living in Laramie Wy. they did wonderful. Also in Baily Co. I looked up some information on funges to see if anything sounded familiar. I read about water mold, and I agree with every one on this thread that it must be water related. I will pull up the weed control blanket and THROW IT AWAY. The information stated that I need to let the ground dry out completly and wait a couple days after that and water with little amounts of water until my bushes come back...if I can get them to survive that long. I am sure that my bushes are blue beards. I also have butterfly bushes. They can look similar.

Thanks so much albqlp

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

good luck! and let us know what happens.

Lily - It's not the true Spiraea, but Caryopteris x clandonensis. Blue beard spiraea is the common name. I can see why you were confused.

albqip - I would check the ground to see if it is already dry (remember - that weed control blanket is notorious for NOT letting water through). You probably won't need to let it dry out, but get some water to it immediately. If the ground is wet, the roots might be rotten and beyond help. But you can always try, obviously. I would.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

ceejaytown; thanks for your clarification. Best of lucks albqlb!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i think that weedmat can also hold too much water in and rot roots because it doesn't breath. either way, you are doing right by getting rid of it! lol

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

spireas grow well here 70 mi south of kc. one is 9' high, other planted last year. i have clay loam soil. this year we got record rains. they seem to like the moisture. the one i planted last year van houette a spring bloomer is giving a few more blooms today.
i'm on flat ground and soil slow to drain this year. maybe they just like a lot of water.

Len - Yours is the true Spiraea:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1435/

This one is only called a Spiraea (Bluebeard Spiraea, or Blue mist spiraea) It is not really a Spiraea:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/557/

I have lovely true Spiraeas. It's the Bluebeard that I can't seem to grow.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2007 11:09 PM

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

sorry disregard last. lol

It IS terribly confusing. That's why botanical names are so important.....

What I called a bachelor's button up north, is called a cornflower down here. Etc, etc.....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ahhh, I see now, the bluebeard is cute as a botton! For those of us love light blue flowers, those is a must. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.