My favorite container this year

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

All the plants did really well in this fancy container this year.

Thumbnail by Candyce
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks!!!!!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

How cool! They look very happy!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

How fun. A neighbor if mine one time had an old bathtub and she added a pump for the shower section and she made a water garden. It was so funny we all loved it.

This tub has been a fixture, you should pardon the pun, in front of our house for decades. Every year it had been planted with annuals - mostly petunias. We bought this house in 2004 and left the tub where it was. Perhaps you can tell that it's a 'landmark' of sorts.

The first year we didn't plant anything in it. The second year we sprinkled a mixture of seeds which turned out to be mostly clover (ugh). This year we added a good layer of garden soil and a touch of fertilizer to the soil and then planted the annuals you see.

The weather has cooperated for the most part and the soil has been kept moist by the rains. I think I have watered it maybe twice or three times so far this season. We dead head daily, too, which has helped a lot.

I just love using the unusual for container gardening, and we will be trying our hand at some other things next year.

Does it have proper, um, drainage? LOL, I'll bet the drain is open...

'Proper drainage'!! LOL!!! That is way too funny.

Actually, don't tell anyone but the bottom of this tub contains a whole bunch of holes. Whoever put it here in the front yard knew what they were doing and added additional 'drain holes'. Of course, I could always get really mysterious and say that the holes in the bottom of the tub look like they were made by buckshot years and years ago. What stories THAT conjures up in my mind!! After all, this house IS an old boarding house that was built back near the end of the 1700s!!

Cool! I love old houses! Lotta work, but a charm all their own.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.