Ferns in pots ??

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I was gabbing with my neighbor [she's a 'pot' person] and she was thinking of trying to put a fern in with her container arrangements, but not knowing if if would survive the winter, being in a pot and not the ground.

I was wondering if anyone in here has tried that with any success. [zone5 here]

But i did tell her that we would experiment this winter... put one in a pot and see if it comes back in the spring.... even if it doesn't , i have enough to give her yearly and it wouldnt put a dent in my fern population.

Thanks for any input,

Terese

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi, Terese

I think it all depends on the type of fern she would use.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have ostrich... and plenty of'em.

regardless -- she and i will do the experiment this winter and see how it goes.... i was just wondering if anyone has done ferns in pots/containers before.

Appleton, WI

I'd like to try this experiment too (I just moved to Zone 5). Not only ferns but also grasses. Have you left other potted plants outside over the winter with any success? I had juniper and yucca in pots on my rooftop garden in zone 4, and they survived, but the yucca never bloomed.

Another issue with pots outdoors in winter (forgive me if you already know this) -- if it freezes with water in the soil, the water expands and cracks terra cotta pots. There are different kinds of winter-friendly pots/planters available.

-Sean

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Sean,

i'm not a "pot person". i like to stick it in the ground and not have to fuss over it. my neighbor is a pot/container person. she was mentioning she'd like to try a fern in the middle of her arrangements..... not sure if it would survive the winter or not, i mentioned we'd give it a trial run this year to see what happens.... even if it doesnt survive -- i have plenty that even if she took 5 per year, i'd never run out with the way they multiply. [now the guy across the street may want to try too]

but yes i do know pots will crack if left out.... long story -- but i had 2 lil black ones.... left out, the second winter the cracked...though mine weren't terra cotta... but again, my neighbor [she does BIG pots] hers eventually crumbled this past winter, since she didn't "spray" them with "whatever" to keep them "winterized".

only i think twice did i have things in pots... and that was only due to moves... and both times i believe they were sedum of some sort... which grows like weeds.. so i knew i wouldnt have a problem with them.

Terese

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.