watering veggies

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

How much is everyone watering in this heat? We are haveing record breaking heat.

Stansbury Park, UT(Zone 6a)

I am watering a lot more this year because of this heat! I have been checking the soil moisture by sticking my finger in the soil about an inch or so. If it is dry I water. So far it has been 100+ here and I have had to water every day for some of my plants . I put a layer of mulch around my tomatoes and that seems to help keep the moisture in the ground. How hot has it been in Libby? I was just thinking that I needed to plan another fly fishing trip up in Montana to escape this heat!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I had to water so much our water bill was double the usual amount. But we just FINALLY got a little over three inches of rain over the past 3 or 4 days (Thank you Lord!). We've been in a drought but not as bad as y'all are having up there.

Orange Park, FL

Dig,
I know we are a long way apart, but when hi temps hit, the mulching is as important as the watering. The obvious benefit is that the mulching will help to keep moisture in the ground. Not so obvious is the fact that the mulching will help to keep the plant roots cool. Most garden plants cannot stand hot roots. And if you have otherwise healthy plants, with adequate water, but are baking in the sun, then it is time to consider a 2" layer of cypress mulch, or whatever mulch your local outlet sells.
It might just be the quick, cheap fix you need. Give it a shot. $10 bucks won't even buy you a meal for 4 at Micky D's!

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks everyone, it is interesting to see what others are doing as far as watering goes.I have alot of straw and shredded leaves for mulch. It has been so dry that I have been watering every morning.

Lissy it has been Hot. Yesterday we had 106 and the 2 days before that we had over 100. We usually do not get to 100. Today was 98. We have been going to the lakes and creeks to cool off.

My cucumbers and tomatoes sure like the heat. Thanks everyone for the input and happy gardening.

Stansbury Park, UT(Zone 6a)

Dig~ I just read in the paper today that they are restricting fishing in the Fire Hole at Yellowstone because of your record heat up there! Water temps are in the 80's. WOW!! I guess not only are the plants cooking up there, the fish are to. I sure hope that we get some cooler temps soon. Utah is an oven as well! My poor tomatoes are dropping all of their blossoms and I am worried that I won't get any more tomatoes to set.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.