Moving in-ground clematis

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Hi all,
I've got a "mystery clematis" (see my posts in http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/744146/ ) that I think just might be a group 3 "vitalba" type, "Western Bower". (based on the COTW info http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=595). It's very invasive, and taking over the side yard of our house and DH is about ready to go after it with a flame thrower. I'd like to move some of it to a place where I can give it a little TLC and see what happens.

Anyone have any advice about digging some of this up and moving it? I've tried once in the past with very bad results, but once we get some rain and I can dig holes again, I'd like to give it another shot.

Thanks for the advice!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Fall is the best time for transplanting. More "normal" temperatures and hopefully abundant rainfall.

Site it carefully, Jill! I always think of the movie, "Little Shop of Horrors" when I see some of these MONSTER Clematis!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Shirley1! I've also got to be careful; it's got a little problem with being invasive, and if DH ends up battling it back in yet another spot in the yard I think he'll take the flamethrower to me instead LOL!

Are there any other tricks I should try for a successful transplant? Last time I soaked both sites, and tried to get as much of the roots as I could, and still had not-such-good luck. Should I prune way down first?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

You probably will need to prune it down a bit just for the ease of transplanting it. Soaking both the root ball & hole are excellent ideas. Add bone meal to the planting hole if you wish to encourage roots. Top dress with mulch to help retain mositure. Have a flamethrower on stand by! ;~0

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

OH yeah, lesson learned on that one! I plan to make our clematis-inhospitable desert climate work for me, and plant where I can control the water. I'm guessing that if the invasive bits can't get water, and must come up through 2 inches of compressed granite mulch, I should be able to stay on top of things.

I hope!

Thanks for the tips!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jill you do not want to tranplant here untill late fall or early spring. Looks like oyu have our native clematis. I have 2 that resemble the one you have.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Okay, thanks, Marie--that gives me some time to get DH used to the idea :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.