Paper plates in compost?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Alright are there any paper products that you cannot put in the compost? I know you would need to rinse them but can you use them? I have long used newspapers in the compost but what about the rest of the paper world?

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

why not just tree pulp

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ha!, my compost pile is 35% coffee filters.

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

we put paper plates,coffee filters,tea bags shredded news paper, and my wife and I both work in a large office and have unlimited shredded paper.

Fred

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

... Capital one credit card advertisements, sweet 'n low packs (my sister gets mad at me when the little pink packs fly into her part of the yard, lol), Hallmark cards and the envelopes....

What is this about rinsing them? Just to get them damp, you mean or is there a step I've been missing?

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

lol pagencat. some people still rinse their plates before putting in the dishwasher, I don't know if it's somehow related or not.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I would guess to get the food off the plate so critters dont come to dig in the compost?

Hey now, Len - *I* rinse the plates... 'cause I know it'll probably be a week before I get around to running the washer, lol...

Yeah, I guess living 2' away from the woods makes me less worried about critters - I assume their presence anyway.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

lol

(Zone 5b)

you guys ARE kidding, right???
If it came from a tree, it goes in the pile. Cardboard boxes, newspaper (not glossy), office paper, grocery stuff (cereal boxes, the outside box of any foods- not the foil-lined stuff, though), ice cream boxes...all of it. It all goes in.
Dryer lint.
Stale breads, rolls, etc.
Cleaning out the fridge- anything but meat & dairy goes in. Bury this stuff deeper.
Coffee grounds (with filters)
Ice Cream sticks & wrappers...

It all goes in.

Yup, we're kidding! Although I have been known to slip some cheese in there if I can get it by the dogs....

Okay, what's the weirdest thing you've ever composted?

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Who could beat birdsnblooms? LOL That is amazing. I'm so scared of what paper, etc. I just use shredded newspaper.
Cereal boxes? Isn't the glossy outside not good? Wow.. This is great! Thank you birdsnblooms!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.