Collecting Clematis seed

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I am cross-posting from the seed collecting forum:

dahhh, I can't find them.
When my flower fades it forms a spidery looking ball, after a few days the ball becomes fuzzy, I removed the fuzz, is the ends of the fuzz the seed or when I remove the fuzz there is a "ball" on the head of the stem, would this be a seed pod.

Oh how I hope I don't look tooo dumb.

Fran

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Fran..you don't look dumb at all..we only learn from asking questions...while I don't grow them from seed....I think you should be introduced to "Brian Collingwoods" site "Clematis from Seeds"..it's very detailed with pic and so inspiring....Jeanne
http://www.bcollingwood.com/

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for this site....really enjoyed my morning coffee with this one!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, thank you for this information... now maybe I can collect a few seeds and see what I come up with.

Thanks,
Fran

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Fran, that's wonderful that you want to try growing Clematis from seed! Growing them from seed does require a lot of patience. Also, please understand that the species Clematis will be 'true', but the hybridized Clematis will not be identical to the mother plant. That's okay because a lot of new Clematis are created just for that purpose.

GardenerGardner: So glad you were able to enjoy Brian Collingwood's website with your morning coffee. Not only is his website filled with information, but his seedlings are absolutely gorgeous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.