An Idea...but would it work?

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Have you ever tried growing Clematis through a tall Hosta? I was thinking it might be a natural support for Clematis(especially non vining types) if the Hosta was sun tolerant. A gold Hosta with dark purple Clematis would be pretty or a dark green to show off a white Clematis?

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=3657022
I found this in the vine forum. I have Niobe. I am not sure if it would over run it. I always think the small bell -shaped ones would look nice.
linda

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Linda, that is a very pretty combination. Thanks for finding it. I also think the bell/nodding types would look good with Hosta. I have some that are non vining (Integrifolias) that could be propped up by the Hosta.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Any of the non-vining Clematis would look beautiful growing through Clematis!

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks Shirley, I was hoping you would give your thoughts on the idea. I have some sun tolerant Hostas on order so I will give it a try.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

You're very welcome!

I even have 'Wada's Primrose' which is a vining Clematis tucked amongst my Hostas. Her lower blooms were at the same height, so it looks as if she is growing amongst them, instead of on a trellis.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow, Wada's Primrose is going on my wish list! Just beautiful...I always love the white flowers, especially at night.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.