Whats blooming today? #4

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Very Pretty Anita :)

I wanted to squeeze these open yesterday but I waited and was patient (such self control *lol*)

My first Lily to open:

Jane Doe

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

So yesterday I did my daily up close and personal tour of the "garden".
I noticed on my Bee Balm that there were 3 couples of Japanese Beetles doing "their thing" (I know, right in the middle of my garden, I was so insulted *lol*). I said to them "what do you think this is, Jerry Springer?". I quickly took my flip flops off, lined them up ever so carefully and proceeded to smoosh all 3 couples (ever so carefully you know *lol*). Then I said...."how do you like them apples"....."now go tell all your friends *lol*".

I notice that Bee Balm seems to be the flower of choice for both grasshoppers (tons) and now Japanese Beetles. Is it the aroma of the leaves that attract them? I ask because this is my first summer with Bee Balm in the garden. I have kept my eyes open for the "mildew" syndrome and so far don't really see that happening but it sure is a bug motel so far.

Kim

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Great house Al! Perfect lawn - guess you use chemicals? How much property do you have?

Kim, what kind of establishment are you running there??!! Seems lots are having JB problems.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Kim,
I know just how you feel. I've been watching all my lilies (all planted this year) and I had one that looked like it was goin to burst before it opened. I looked this morning on my way to work and its half open. I almost dragged my poor wife (in PJ's) out the door to look at it. I hope to take some pictures after work. It was part of mix of lily bulbs so I have no idea of its name, I think I'll call it "First Born."
Chuck

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

AWWW Chuck, what a cute story!
My hubby is so funny.....he really isn't into the "flowa thing" but he will walk around the flower bed and point at things and pretend he knows what they are (sometimes he even gets it right so I know he's been "partially" listening *lol*).
I am out there every morning in my PJ's.
It's been rainy for 3 days here thus the reason for the raindrops in the picture.
All of mine have the same name no matter what color they are.... Jane Doe *lol*
Isn't it amazing how things in the garden change from day to day? I love it :)

Kim

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Al, I just love your porch. One thing I don't like about my house is no porch, but we have plans to put one on. My husband told me he read porches, and porch sitting is coming back in style. But, of course, you probably don't have much time for sitting anywhere.

Great Centaurea from a mix.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

Another.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Victor - I have a hobby lawn - about 3,000sq.ft. I use very little pesticides on it - maybe 10 weeds a year. I do use synthetic fertilizers and milorganite throughout the year. I redid it all 3 years ago.
I do use the porch mainly in late winter and spring - it is hot in the summer.

Across the street at the house( we use to rent the upstairs) has a great summer porch.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice centaura Victor, that last one looks scabiosalike.

Here's a colorful bouquet - Dreamlands Mix zinnias.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

You re-sodded the entire thing? That other house is nice - pretty steep roof.

Oh, good catch Al - they ARE Scabiosa. I had Centaurea on the brain! Maybe longing to be a bachelor again?

'Mauna Loa'.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

well I am glad to see the nasty humid heat gone... had some wicked thunderstorms today... and not done yet... so no pictures from me today

but great shots today everyone!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Yeah. Your T-storms are headed our way!

No photos today for me, either. It's just too hot and humid out there. Our scabiosa is almost ready to bloom. It should be beautiful any day now.

Yes, we had some theatrics here too. One inch of rain - maybe we'll get more.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Great Victor - If I remember correctly, you were needing a little rain.

On a side note: Can we start a new thread for this topic? It's getting very long, and my poor dial-up is panting from the strain! LOL

My favorite photo from this year's batch of photos ... well, so far, anyway

Thumbnail by Candyce
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

A photo of the new front bed......okay PLANS for a new front bed. LOL new software that is sooo much fun!

Thumbnail by venu209
Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

My first Lily opened today. It's from a unknown mixed batch. I don't know if the colors will show up but it is white with a pretty rose blush. I can't wait for some more to open.
Chuck

Thumbnail by dogwalker

Very nice Chuck - congrats!

venu - love the dog in the middle of the flowers.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

dogs.............

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

yeah, the dogs amongst the flowers are cute.

Candyce, I like your favorite photo too!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

great shot Candyce.... looks like a nice one dogwalker

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice Chuck and Candy.

Victor - I tilled it up and seeded it. There are some funny(now) pics of the work in here:
http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/t/bigcityal/1979/

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

GREAT story Al, what a lot of hard work! The result is amazing. It was fun to read about your progress and triumphs. Thank you for sharing :)

Kim

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Great pics everyone! Al - what a lot of work, but it payed off and you have beautiful gardens! Candyce - nice shot and what a beautiful "flower"!! Venu - looks like you are going to have a great garden - love the dogs. What is the name of your software - that could help me in planning my new garden that I've been working on? I'm enjoying these pics so much - don't have a lot of time to be on the computer these days, but this is the one thread I make sure I look at!! :-)

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Purple coneflower became more purple as the petals turned down!! It was very light colored at first - post # 3718987!! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Kim, very cute little NOID...cant' wait to see your lady slippers

Pix, Plum Perfect is yours as soon as it grows up a bit (for a pick to be named later LOL)

3516..love the lilies

Anita, what's your zinnia with the 'splashes'..I love that one

Victor, the color on that centaurea is fabulous

Chuck, you're a lily daddy!! I love your enthusiasm

venu, it's so much fun to plan...how many dogs are you going to plant??

Eleanor, that's a very pretty coneflower! you don't know the name?

my first 'Ruby Giant' this year...love this plant

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

little twin buds on a rose I planted last week...'Joasine Hanet'

edit to add: I'm sure Pixie will be along to start a new thread

This message was edited Jul 12, 2007 7:39 AM

Thumbnail by grampapa
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm here and a new thread has been started, please join me here...
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/747277/

Sorry to all my dial-up friends....I was with DH at the doctors all day yesterday. They did some X-rays and the leg is still broken. The doctor had to break his leg to fix his ankle....don't ask it's a long story! The good news is he has a walking boot on....the bad news is he can't walk yet. It will be anywhere's from 2 weeks to 2 months before he's able to put pressure on it. We won't be hiking or dancing this year!!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I moved this to the new thread....

Chuck - congrats, she's a beauty!!! Eleanor and Jan, I just love the coneflowers... Victor, all I can say about 'Mauna Loa' is WOW! I also loved your scabiosa. That's another plant that I don't have in the yard. If you manage to save any seeds, I'd love to trade with you again. Well, here's todays pics. The lily opened yesterday and I was totally amazed at how much scent one bloom can put out. I could smell on the whole side of the house! Al, any idea which rudbeckia this one is? The marker floated away.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2007 7:11 AM

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.