You Show Me Your Gardens - Part III

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I thought with 159 posts, and so many of them photos, that we should start a new thread.

Here is a long shot of some flowers at my house; the sunflower in the middle of the photo is one of those F1 hybrid short guys named 'Junior'.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Suzy, I love all the colors. You're a gardener after my own heart.

Here are a few current photos of my gardens.

The butterflies are loving this one.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Clematis and hollyhock.

early_bloomer

Hey! Great idea for the top of the trellis! I have a lot of vines that got to the tops of my trellises and aren't sure what to do next! This gives them a place to go!

Yes, EB, I have noticed something along those lines -- I always admire the photos of the gardens of the people who post that they like mine. Um, that isn't easy to phrase, but I think you either like the "everything including the kitchen sink" look, or ya don't.

Yours actually looks bigger and more organized than mine. I didn't give my plants enough room to breathe. :((

Suzy

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Clematis, Fourth of July Roses and Shasta daisys.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Suzy, I'm not organized at all. I hit the garden club and end of season plant sales, plant the stuff where ever there is room at the time and hope for the best. If it seems out of place down the road I'll move it to a better location.
I just happened to take a photo of the bed in the first photo from the second story window of the garage this morning. Although it looks like a jungle when viewed from ground level it still has a space here and there when viewed from above.
My clematis were always growing to the top of the tee-pee and flopping. I'm hoping this helps.

early_bloomer

Ooooooh, looks like there is space to jam a few more! ;) That's what I've been doing. It starts out all organized, in myhead, anyway, but then there are bulbs I forget about underneath or something red bloooms orange or ....well, I guess there are a lot of things that can go wrong with a garden plan when the plants come from trading and swapping seed. LOL!

Something hysterically funny happened today -- my teenage daughter (18) was outside showing off my flowers to one of her friends! I about fell over because she has no interested whatsoever in flowers, gardening, soil, birds, butterflies, squirrels, or any of that stuff.

I'm not sure what this flower is. It came in a pack of seeds from Botanical Interests called "terrific trailers".

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

EB and Illoquin, you have gorgeous beds. :)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Joegee, I agree about the beds of EB and Suzy. I love the idea that all your work is being enjoyed and soaked in my your daughter. I think the colors that you both are using are so refreshing. I tend to be too timid or safe. I need to be a little more bold. I do have some bright colors in my hot bed. Here is one from yesterday. But unlike EB, no Hollyhocks yet. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is another looking toward the east with lots of pinks, whites, purples and yellows and a tiny bit of a patch of lilies that I thought was going to be yellow instead of coral. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Another longer view toward the north west end of the garden. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is part of the lower beds on the east side with the upper DL's just starting with one of my helpers, Winnie. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Hi all from Wisconsin 4b-5a (depends on the year). Really wonderful shots of your gardens! I enjoyed looking at them all. I just took a whole bunch on my digital but haven't picked up the CD yet from the developer. I do have one pix from about 2 weeks ago. Its the center of my courtyard. Its a little light.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2007 12:58 PM

Thumbnail by
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Garden4ever, looking forward to more. I can't believe how much ahead you are from me.

Here are some more snippets of spirea, geraniums, sedum 'autumn joy' and lilies to come as well as Raspberry Wine Monarda didyma, Liatris spicata, Perovskia atriplicifolia, and what I think is a compact agastache ( maybe 'Honey Bee Blue' ) in front. It has a square stem with serrated opposite leaves that are crinkled and slightly pointed at the ends with a striking violet short bloom but I can detect no real scent. Any help? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Hmm bbrookrd. I am not really good with the scientific names of everything, but it looks something like Subperba (? spelling). Or like a pink sage? Yea, it seems everything is really blooming early this year full out. We have had like NO rain in the month of June, and July isn't looking any different. My garden hose is getting a workout. We have 1 1/2 acres of dead grass right now. As long as my plants live, I will sacrifice the grass because it always comes back when temps start to drop again. Wisconsin is darn hot contrary to what people usually believe.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Some taller kids in the east end of what we call the long bed. An Angelica, a Rheum rhabarbarum which is not red, Lovage Levisticum officinale, and lots of daylilies to come as well as false sunflower (lemon queen, I think) a bunch of Yucca filamentosa, a dwarf Alberta spruce which started out as a table decoration with tiny red balls one Christmas in the 80's. and is now more than 8'x 6' and in the background is a indigenous Viburnum dentatum which we have growing everywhere on the property with some pitch pine and spruce in the background. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Here is my flowerbed that is between my garden and my native plantings area. It's also next to my rabbit cage (you can see part of it and it's roof "blue tarp."

Thumbnail by rachierabbit
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Rachierabbit, your little girl statue sure would look cute with my little boy statue (in MY yard, that is)!!

Thumbnail by Murmur

Or maybe with these two . . .

Thumbnail by Murmur

Or even with this bunch . . .

Thumbnail by Murmur
Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Murmur,
I love your statues, where did you find them? My little girl and her bunny have quite a story behind them. There was a great nursery in the Maple Valley area, on Lake Francis (Lake Francis Herb Farm.) I absolutely adored it, when the owner was pregnant with her second child she decided to close her nursery so that she could be a full-time mommy. So she had a huge sale and between me and my parents we darn near bought everything :0)

I saw the little girl statue and asked how much it was, the owner said that she could only sell it if her son, who was four at the time agreed to it. He had named the little girl Laura and used to sit on her little log next to her and talk to her. It was a hard bargain but once I told him that I would take good care of her and talk to her and not change her name he was happy. So that is how Laura came to live in my garden, I just love her.

Murmur---Cute table and chairs with statues! Love it. You really are talented!

Rachier - Very pretty. I love the story.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

murmur...i was reading country gardens last night and it features a lady from you town....

Here are some pictures of my gardens.... A little dark but still seeable.

Thumbnail by

New patio garden area. Just put a path through.

Thumbnail by

Different deck view.

Thumbnail by

Pond area.

Thumbnail by
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

garden...very pretty....i wanna see during the daylight!!!!

Thanks Sticks.... I took some more.... daylight this time. Just don't know how to hook up the digital to the computer. Need to wait until my daughter gets home tonight to show me how. Man I feel technologically challenged!

Colleen

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Beautiful shots of all the gardens. I love looking at them all, cute statues too.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Since taking this photo, I've dug up the cream daylily Wedding Band and given it away. Not sure yet what it will be replaced with.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lots of lily blooms in July.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The tall lily here is American Dreams

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

New daylilies are opening each day.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

oops, that last photo was last year. Here is the same area this year.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

More of the front. Vinca has not taken off like it should.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

More of the front strip by the sidewalk.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Zinnias in a raised bed in back.

Rachierabbit, love your statue story - so special!!! I got my statues from various places - the little boy sitting alone was actually a gift from my oldest daughter to my youngest as she thought it looked like her son (youngest didn't really think so, but I sure saw the resemblance). I ended up with it when dd moved to an apartment and, although she's in a house again now, she's letting me keep it. The little boy and girl by the table & chairs came from Jackson & Perkins, the follow-the-leader gang came from someplace on the Internet, can't remember where. I have a lot more that I didn't show - all smaller and mostly from the Internet as well. I'm an Internet junkie.

Sticks - I'll have to look for Country Gardens to see (you never know, I might know the person!).

Garden4ever, Cactuspatch, & Lincolnitess, great gardens!!!!

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Your beds are all so full, and colorful! Do you folks overplant, or do you follow planting guidelines on the plant tags to get those thick clumps?

-Joe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.