Is my 6am-1pm sun area "partial shade" or "full sun"?

Raleigh, NC

I am TOTALLY new to gardening. I read in one book that areas that receive 6 hours of sun is "full sun" but another book specified that "full sun" refers only to sun during the hours of 10am-4pm. So is my yard "partial sun"? Or "light shade"? Any help is appreciated, for I am confused.

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Every book is a little different. But plants like to be in a little shade in the hot afternoon. You have the perfect garden. Enjoy. Remember plants can't read what we write about them so long as their happy..............

Raleigh, NC

Do you think that full sun plants would be happy there? I would like to plant vegetables, flowers, and herbs.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

6 hours is considered full sun so i would say yeah go for it and that is perfect too because the morning sun is the best i think
good luck keep us posted how they do

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Not enough sun for vegetables I think but you could always try. So much of the 'partial shade' determination depends on the individual plant and even the individual cultivar. It's always an experiment. I can grow dahlias in that much sun and less for instance. Some hostas are burnt in sun until 10:00 and some can stand the mid day sun. It takes some trial and error.

Another thing is that things can take less sun in the south than in the north.

I'd ask about it at your good local garden store.

I know. As clear as mud.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

what is the exposure? [S,E or W]

since i do not have room for a full garden... i plant my tomatoes on the south side... that way they get the most sun
my front, eastern exp, some plants require 'part sun' and i'm finding they get too much of the HOT sun, and are not doing well, so i need to move them to the north side.

So, i also think it depends on the plant.

my roses are also on the south side, but i think they would do just fine in my eastern exp as they'd get sun from early Am til about 1pm. [western exp I have no gardens as that is the pooches space]

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Again, some roses do better in less light than other.

My western side is more full sun than my Eastern side - the afternoon sun added to the heat seems to be harder on my plants.

But it's still worth trying and seeing if you can grow vegetables there. Have you tried asking on the vegetable forum too?
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/yumyum/all/

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree with all that has been said. Plants don't fall neatly into the full sun/part sun/part shade/shady categories. My yard is partly sunny in spots, and mostly shady in others. I have had to learn through trial and error that there are some plants that won't survive anywhere in my yard (like tomatoes), even with 6 hours sun, but other "full sun" plants do ok. If I were you, I wouldn't only plant "needs full sun" plants" because I don't think they will all thrive. Also try some plants that are ok in "part sun."

I find that many of the plants I try just disappear. But others thrive and gallop, so it all works out in the end.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

in general the fatter leaves like more shade, the thinner leaves need more sun, also how hot the temp is eg. ahs zones, some plants can accept more sun if well watered, etc.
but whatever you wish to plant read everything about the plant and that will give you more a feel as to what the plants needs are. annuals generally can take the most sun if well watered. silver plants reflect the sun more. woodland plants are used to more shade and moisture.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I have a fenced in garden with less sun than yours and many vegatables do well there: Beet, Broccoli, Chard, Chives, Garlic, Kale, Lettuce, Parsley, Radish, Spinach, MInt, Basil and other herbs. Even tomatoes if you pick the right kinds. Cherry tomatoes (Sweet Million and SunGold) and currant tomatoes are doing fine as long as they are watered well. Even a few beefsteak heirlooms are producing in the shade, but they do better with lots of sun. I couldn't get peppers and cucumbers to do well in the shade so I am trying them in selected spots in my sunnier flower garden. I say go for it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.