Too much rain (please help me out)

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

My hydrangea is 2 years old and with all the rain we have received it is dropping really bad. Does anyone know what I can do help save it? I read something about epson salt, will that help it??

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Sorry but that will not cure what ails it. You have the same problem that I have and it is too much moisture (rain) in the soil. Unless you can somehow redirect drainage away from this area or temporarily transplant it to a drier location, there are few "good" alternatives. This is a critical issue with oakleaf hydrangeas because they will easily suffer from root rot under these conditions.

Using water-retaining products at planting time might help..... some. I used some but they were just overwhelmed by 1" to 3.5" of rain 5days/week for almost 45 days. I suspect my wilting Alice Oakleaf may not come through unscathed and may have to be replaced.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much for the reply.. I took it up on myself to figure out that it was in the wrong place and I moved it. It still is looking bad. I might have moved it to late.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

If mine does not make it either, I will use this as a buying opportunity and try other varieties. This type of rainfall is not normal so we should not expect it again for quite a few years.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have some 11 plants scattered in the front and back. None of them are doing very well.
One in the front has lost most of it's leaves and I don't what to do to help it. All of the front yard plants are blooming very small, very green blooms.....very ugly.

Been wondering if they would respond to being potted for awhile until they can recover.
Help

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If it's still raining a lot that might be worthwhile, but if the rain's stopped then you're probably better off leaving them where they are, digging them up could just create extra stress for the plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.