San Diego, CA

2nd pic

Thumbnail by zostropz
San Diego, CA

3rd pic.
Mark

Thumbnail by zostropz
San Diego, CA

and finally, the last pic of this lovely flower.
Mark

Thumbnail by zostropz
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Very nice Mark! Congrats!

Erick

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Very pretty!!

San Diego, CA

thank you very much, unfortunately, no fruit was to follow. :o(

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Maybe you should try crossing it with another P-flower to get fruit & seeds. Maybe it is self sterile.

San Diego, CA

Buttoneer, I did try but it didn't take. I hope another flower forms and I can try again,
Mark

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Good luck to ya.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Very nice Mark. My umbilicata is not doing so good, I think that it's too hot here for it.

San Diego, CA

Chris, I do believe it is a cooler grower. Mine is outside and so far so good but not sure how it will do over the course of summer.
Mark

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mark,
Your assessment of cooler grower, partially hold truth. For mine, bloomed beautifully here last year. Then I thought it was a goner in our zone. The beauty just surprized me this past week by making a come back. With our long growing season, I'm keeping my finger crossed for late blooming on this beauty.
Kim

San Diego, CA

Kim, I just don't have enough experience growing this one to know. This will be the first summer for it. I bought it back in Feb. or March. Keep me posted on how yours does.
Mark

Dead meat here in Florida. Ah well...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ah, gordo; it didn't like it "real hot" I see? Mark, I'll keep you posted as to how it turns out this season.
Kim

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

These are mine last year. Plant is thus 3 years old now where I've planted it. Currently it's about 3 feet tall, and climbing.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Nope...P. gritensis hated the heat and got the worst case of spider mites I've ever seen...used everything but nuclear waste on them. P.membranacea (?) melted. Umbilicata swan dived into the trash can.

Score: 5 5 5 5 5 - Gold Medal!!!
It was OLYMPIAN!!!

San Diego, CA

Kim, that is Lavendar lady you got there. It should be hardier but keep it watered when it gets hot.
Mark

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mark,
My mistake! There are just so many cultivars. Thanks for the clarification. Now it can go to my indentifed files on my garden journal. Many thanks to DGer's generosity on sharing. On our shared experience. I can make a note to this cultivar, that indeed it's a late bloomer. Thank you, Mark.
Kim

San Diego, CA

you are so very welcome.
Mark

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mark, just to keep you updated; my lavendar lady failed to bloom this season. But she seemed to be 'root hardy' in our zone. By the spring, I can tell for sure if she'll come back. Frost has gotten her leafy growth for the last season. :(
Kim

They need lots of mulch to keep the root system cool in the heat .
They do love heat but need the roots to be sheltered and well fed.
chrissy

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Chrissy;
I've those for several years now, maybe a little supplement fertizer in the Spring. Remember, we're still in Winter here. :-)
Kim

Hi Lily love I mean't the mulch is for when you have heat (they love heat but cooler roots).I know you are in winter how are you coping?
Darned hot here and my triffid passionfruit is under inches of sugar cane mulch and manures :)
Hi everyone else ...

Thumbnail by
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ah, those are gorgeous!!! Coping? I am not. Can't wait until spring arival. Thanks for asking.
Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.