Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!!!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

i wish everyone a wonderful 4th of july!!! i came home to this new flag and flower bed a few days ago. my husband and children did this while i was at work. i have just picked the flowers for the bed so overlook the fact that they arent planted lol.

kelly

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

if you enlarge the pict you can see it better. i thought it cut some off but it did okay. here is close up of the lantana that we picked out to place in this bed. i love this multi colored one!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

and the other lantana is a red/orange color. we put 2 of the pink multi and 2 of these orange/red in the bed... i sure hope it attracts butterflies : ) the kids just love butterflies. anyone have good luck with lantana? i have always wanted to try them but never have.

edited for spelling : 0

This message was edited Jul 4, 2007 7:07 AM

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

I have some red/orange/pink lantana - I don't cut them back in the winter and they come back. (Perhaps they ARE considered a perennial in GA?). Yellow ones front yards provide good color for the season - especially against red grasses or bushes.

Thomson, GA

this is my first year with Lantana, so I can't tell you much about it, except that I love it in every color. I do see it all over in established yards and even in some abandoned homesites that appear to be doing just splendidly without any care whatsoever. I am hoping once mine are established they will grow a little larger. I have lavender, the mixed orange/red/yellow and one mixed pinks. Love them and if they do well I will probably plant a lot more next year. They don't seem to care if it rains.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I can tell you that one of the Lantana will easily fill that bed. I have seven different varieties, and even the shorter ones will spread out to two - four feet in one season, mine all come back each year as well, I will take a picture of my red one it is by itself in the front yard in a bed, so you can see how large it can get, this one is only two years old this year...it dies back in Winter and comes back each Spring/Summer when it gets hot consistently at night..lol Nice surprise for you too, what a sweet family you have!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a picture of the Red/Orange I have there are three here and they each will get at least four feet tall and spread at least that much...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is one of the mounding type yellows....this is just one bush as well...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

This is one of the pink "confetti" types, it also gets quite large if you let it...it is to the right of the canna, not a great picture, but I will try to find another one from last year when it was completely grown up...lol

This message was edited Jul 4, 2007 12:57 PM

Thumbnail by JanetS
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Butterflies are scarce this year. Last year we had 30+ on our butterfly bushes and "Miss Huff" lantana everyday. This year I've only seen one or two at a time. I hope we see more as summer goes on.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

hmmmmmmm i have only seen a few butterflies as well. i wonder if they are being affected by this drought as well? what is yall view of that??? is everyone enjoying their 4th? we just got back from a cookout and pool party at my sisters home. we have 1 more to go to tonight. i dont mind a bit lol...i got out of cooking : )

kelly : )

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is just beginning to be the time of year here that I start seeing them. I have a few of the yellow swallowtail and some of the Fritillary, but they are just starting to come. I took this picture this morning...lol they do love Lantana as much as they do the Butterfuly bushes!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

okay now i am thinking i am not going to need 4 in this tiny bed. i didnt know they got this big. all the pictures are beautiful!

janet i love the pict w/butterfly : )

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.