my friend has a moon "plant"

Paola, KS(Zone 6a)

My friend & I were looking at my moon vine & she has a Moon Plant. That is what she has always heard it called. She got the start from her grandma's garden here in OK. I tried to look it up but had no luck. It has large white flowers like on the moon vine but the flowers are much larger, about 6 inches or more. It is a bush & right now about 3 1/2 feet tall. It's pods are large & fruit like she said with thorns. Thank you for any help. I'll try to get over to her house & get a pic & a look at it myself.

Paola, KS(Zone 6a)

Thank you! We were stumped! She said it looks like the picture of the "devils trumpet" but then had to run out of the house for a Dr.s appt. I briefly saw a picture that said something about arsenic. I'll look closer later. She has 2 small children & 2 dogs. This may not be a good plant for her! Thank you for the link ecrane3.

Paola, KS(Zone 6a)

Ha Ha I just flipped back over to check out the arsenic thing before returning to my yard. It was someones name that submitted the picture!:) I guess I was so worried about seeing the detail about it being toxic ...I saw the word arsenic....:). Silly me... It is alarming to hear of the effects this plant can cause & the people that ingest it on purpose to get high. Such a shame.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a large number of Brugmansias, close, close relatives of Daturas. Our dog has never bothered them. My children are grown, but when they were small, I included them in my gardening activities and taught them what was edible and what was not. I planted edibles in the back yard where they were allowed to go by themselves. Other plants went into the front yard. I introduced other plants into the back yard as the children grew.

COLUMBIA, TN(Zone 6b)

I had this plant before I moved and the shop called it moon plant. I have always grown moonvine and it was very similar. Mine never got more than 2 or 3 ft. It was not a datura Beth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.