Best name brand potting mix

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I want to pot up my new irises this year as the beds will under go major renovations at the end of July. I've always used wrong kind of soil as my potted irises did not thrive. Please advise asap with brand name product, in the past used miracle gro potting mix but the leaves grow tall and then flop and turn brown. Also have used generic potting mix from wal-mart without additives and the irises just sit and look at me before turning brown.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

why not just dig up iris's before you renovate and then replant? or if not possible just dig up and use same soil they are in?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

this is for new irises coming in so that they have time to work on developing roots instead of going dormant. the irises coming out of the redesign area will be labeled and replaced once the project is complete, I just didn't see the need for settling a new plant and then taking it out of the ground again in case work takes longer than anticipated.

Surely, someone can give me an idea of a good soil/mix to try for this purpose.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Roni,

I have a nursery and have been selling potted iris for years, overwintering them in pots. I use Metro Mix 510.

Here's the formulation:

http://www.sungro.com/products_displayProProduct.php?product_id=118&brand_id=17

One bag makes about 30 gallons, and costs around 16.00 retail.

Never lost an iris overwintered in this.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Polly... :)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have overwintered quite a few iris in Miracle Gro. Most survive but I am guessing I have about a 10% loss rate. I think I will try the Metro Mix 510 if I can find it around here.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

My actual iris bed is pretty lean soil. And since they tend to like it on the dry side, I wouldn't want soil that holds tons of moisture. I may have to experiment. =) I'm digging up an established overgrown 10 year old bed and I'm giving all the plants to friends but I may keep a plant or two to try potting up and overwintering.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

I've used a cactus potting mix with good results. It has better drainage.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I was thinking about orchid potting mix with organic potting soil also. Cactus mix would be great instead of the orchid mix since the bark is sort of chunky.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.