UGH, why won't anything grow!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am desperately trying to get something to grow in the front of my rhodies, the area is right in front of the house and is nice soil that gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Nothing but my spring bulbs worked and obviously nothing is there now, last year planted fiesta daises they never grew back. I tried planting a bunch of different seeds this year and got 1 marigold, whopee! What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? There is enough room in front of the rhodies that the plants are NOT interfering with the roots. I wanted to get some color in there for the whole summer.
Help!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

What do you mean that nothing will grow? Does it die, get eaten...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

What exposure does the area get and how much shade? A photo would probably be best to help us help you.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Just an idea but Rhodies like acidic soil. Have you checked your soil PH? I KNOW I have acidic soil and have learned to work "with" the soil and grow what will thrive. For the plants that don't like so much acid, I work a little lime into the soil around them. Maybe it's a soil problem?

Kim

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Daylilies and a lot of things should work.I would look for acid loving plants and work with the soil rather than change it. (I'm assuming the rhodies are doing well)

If the soil is rich, moist, acid and the location is sunny (and you want tall plants) Japanese iris would adore it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I do have acidic soil. Is it easier to just plant acid lovers than try to ammend the soil by adding lime or wood ash??? It gets morning sun and afternoon shade. The rhodies are doing Mahvaleous, darling.
Anything I plant there just does not grow, I mean I must have planted about 60 seeds and only 1 marigold came up????

Lime takes 6 months to work. I don't know how long wood ashes would take. Still I'd be afraid of the effect on the other plants that are doing so well.

You might want to Google "acid loving annuals" if annuals are what you want there and it sounds that way by mere mention of marigolds. Then narrow it down to either part shade or morning shade as you investigate the possible choices. I'd bet you'll find many plants that don't want the heat of the afternoon sun (neither do I).

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I would not amend the soil. The Rhodos are doing well and almost all of the most commonly used plants either tolerate or actually prefer acidic soil. I would look for another reason. As Pirl said, a photo might help. Morning sun / afternoon shade would accommodate many plants. Has there been sufficient moisture??

The one thing I would suggest is that before you buy anything to check the invasive plants that are never labeled that way. It will save you so much time and grief.

Good timing Pirl. I was just cursing that very fact again today!! In fact, I will be starting a thread that addresses that, in addition to other things.

The wretched invasives never seem to end but I did win the war with Aegopodium.

Sounds like gloating in a Greek tragedy.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't have a digital camera to post any pics. Sorry. The soil stays pretty moist but not wet. The list for NJ has nothing on it I'd plant anyway.

Oh yeah - you got diamonds!!!

I agree! Plant Files might be of help since when I Googled for "acid loving annuals" I didn't get a list of plants, as I expected.

How much room do you have to fill?

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i think your 'problem' is you said you planted seeds. i'm not sure if fiesta daisies reseed themselves, are sterile or what. seeds stay dormant until things are just right for them to germinate. I would suggest planting the plant form and let them reseed themselves though while it may take a season or two or more, but at least while your waiting on seeds you can have flowers now.

I would try something specifically geared toward part shade. Tons to choose from. An easy one that I love is Geranium macrorrhizum. 'Ingwersen's Variety' or 'Bevan's Variety' are both very nice. Deer don't bother them and they make a nice weed smothering ground cover. Their foliage gives off a nice aroma. They have pink Spring flowers and cool seed heads.If you're seeking Summer blooms, try one of the smaller Hydrangea available.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Okay, I hate to say this, but have you thought of putting in impatiens. I know it's a NJ staple but it does work.

I had the same thought, Venu. Maybe because I have a huge tray of violet rosebuds (very leggy) waiting for me to plant them.

Maybe Hoffa's buried underneath??

Hoffa disappeared on my birthday!

Pushing up Fiesta Daisies??

Cement daisies?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

My questions still stands - - are the plants not thriving, dying or being eaten? What happens when they die - do they wilt, brown, drop leaves...etc

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

she said the bulbs did fine, her fiesta daisies did fine but didn't return. she planted seeds and only got 1 marigold, so the plants are doing fine, its the seeds that are not germinating as fast as she would like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.