Hello to all lovers of epiphyllum and zygos

Merino, Australia

I have not been on for a long time but now that Winter has arrived, I will be spending more time in the warm inside. I am now the proud owner of over 500 epiphylums and numerous zygos, rhipsalis and rhipsalidopsis. Are there other lovers of these plants out there ?
The epiphyllums are mostly mature plants plus many seedlings and cutting grown smaller ones. The collection has been badly neglected for a few years until I came upon it. Now I have my work cut out repotting and tirmming. Already a lot of the plants are plumping up and looking greener. My zygos have filled one shadehouse so we have to build another one for the epis. I am looking to obtain yellow zygos and rhipsalidopsis. Are there any collectors that would like to sell or exchange these. ? I have added a picture of some of the epis as they were when I first got them. Happy gardening everyone.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Hi you sure do have a job on your hands.....whew how in the heck did you manage to have such a large collection ?...I have some of the big ones...I think loosely termed orchid cactus ...but not sure -
given to me from a deceased estate no one wanted them ...so rather than see them off t the tip I gave them a home...they arch out about a metre and then produce large (about tea cup size ) flowers
There is a red a cream and a white.I also have about 6 of the little ones that I have in hanging baskets...different colours.I know the work that goes into cleaning up those big ones ...not easy dodging the prickles....good luck with it all.....:)

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Well Hi Chrissy, dont ask me how the hell I got here, but I did find you at last, been trying for ages, this site is not the same as the other one ie d gardening, but thats maybe just a clue as to how thick I am, dont know a thing about your plants but will keep watching so I can learn, say Hi to all your ozzy gardeners from me, chat soon, WeeNel, Scotland UK.

Oh whacko Wee Nell you made It! you little ripper!!! (means fantastic!)....keep watching....you may not know some of them- but we do grow a lot of English type stuff too (sorry I don't really know what Scotland grows I guess it would be what we would call English (beautiful cottage garden stuff)...Those Thistles so beloved by you over there grow like triffids here.....they turn into huge monsters.....must like the climate I guess.
You might like to give us a list to compare.What things would we find in your little cottage by the sea...lets see if we have it or a substitute (our version)...Could you do that please when you have finished chasing that hungry Buck out of your yard! Gosh everyone Wee Nell has a male deer eating her garden (and we think we have got problems with possums(lol)
So everyone ..introducing a very hard working dear lady from Bonny Scotland ...I invited her in for a cuppa would you make her welcome! Welcome and (((hugs ))) :^)

Adelaide, Australia(Zone 10a)

Welcome WeeNel!! Only ever been to Aberdeen once back in '99 but was lucky enough to enjoy beautiful Scottish Autumn colours and a wander through Dee side! Anyway, welcome Down Under. Lots of European plants do well here - some too well as chrissy has mentioned. Roses love Adelaide! Hydrangeas love the Adelaide Hills!!

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Hi 77,Please keep us updated on your lovely collection...and pics too would be great.Yes how did you get to inherit such a large collection..tell us more please.
A warm welcome to you WeeNel...great to have you here!!

Merino, Australia

Hello all ,again. I have been out in the rain trying to get a few more epis repotted.
I accidently acquired this collection. I usually sell a few plants at our local showgrounds and somepeople came along with a large lot of plants to sell. Being the plant nut that I am , I had to go and see what was there. As soon as I saw all the epis I asked the price and was told there are lots more than these. Of course I had to have them so after 3 trailer loads and a ute full , they now reside with me
The lady that had them was losing her sight and could not care for them and was glad to see them go to a good home. Over time, a lot of the labels have faded or just gotten lost so I will have a job to sort them out when they flower. I have about 120 with names although there is no guarantee they are in the right pots. There are aporos, rhipsalis and every sort of epi you can imagine. My husband just looks and says more weeds. He is very helpful with any moving etc though. We have had rain for days now and the plants are really well watered. After the long drought they had been in they are looking well. Nice to chat to you all. I am adding a pic of some of the ones I have already hanging under the large cypress tree. Very convenient hanging space.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
bundaberg, Australia

For 77Sunset,
Boy oh boy you will need a lot of hanging space for your newly acquired plants. But by the sound of you they will surely receive the TLC they are in need of. We are now in the middle of winter here in Sub-Tropical QLD and the Zygo's are showing us their very best. A couple of Photos included for our Scottish(Thistle) friend. All The best Bazza.

Thumbnail by tulloch52
bundaberg, Australia

For 77Sunset

Thumbnail by tulloch52
Merino, Australia

Hello tulloch52. What a beautiful zygo. They certainly grow well up there. Mine have to contend with our cold winters but seem to thrive.
I have just acquired ( besides all the epis ) a lot of zygos and can't wait to see them bloom. I am also now the owner of numerous types of Rhipsalis, Rhipsalidopsis, Aporophyllums and a few similar epiphytes that I no nothing of. All were in the large epiphyllum collection. It will be great to watch them all as the various types flower.
I envy you in the warm north as today is freezing here and we are expecting hail and more wind.
Lovely to see all the pics of others garden plants on this site.

BBBbbrrrrrrr been low as minus 3 today (early ) coldest day in 20 years.......hope your plants will be ok....the few I have are very well protected....so lets all keep our fingers crossed there won't be too much damage to our gardens :)

Bendigo, Australia

WOW, doesn't it feel good to get a huge haul like that! we also have arrived home with 2 trailer loads of cactus and yucca plus different succulents, about 17 different ones all together. the cactus are up to 3 metres tall and although not all with easy ID, for us anyway. we hope to get some good stock plants going to help raise funds for our charity work. so to get a free lot was great. the owners were selling up and the new people wanted the cactus gone so we were pretty lucky to get them. we were initially after a look at the collection in case the new owner ripped anything out.
zygos were included with the collection too.
pity that its soo cold outside pottting up but better than the middle of summer when it takes such an effort to get a cactus of that size out of the ground and into a trailer !!

bundaberg, Australia

For 77Sunset
Well it is our middle of winter here now in the sub-tropics and the ZYGO"S are showing us their very best. I have found when i have received a new color of Zygo if i pot it in the winter then it will Flower the following winter. This may not apply to other states though. i am including photo of Dragon Fruit Flowers this time.

All The Best Bazza

Thumbnail by tulloch52

That is a fantastic dragon fruit....mine is climbing very well grown from a piece about 10' long and in two years is about 10 ft tall and climbing into an arbour!....I have never grown one before and was a bit shocked at the speed of growth......how long before you get fruit?...I must confess to paying 2.50 for 1 dragon fruit at the market ....just to check it out....very insipid taste!....it was a red one and I am guessing that it was old or something because there was no flavour just a lot of seeds.So could you tell me please have you eaten a fresh one?....if you did... did you enjoy it? or was it insipid too....just curious because for 2.50 I thought it would be nice.....pretty anyway.When I moved here there the big cactus that all farms have .....you know the ones that the birds go nuts over...but too many prickles to deal with....are the dragon fruit prickly too ?....the one in the shop was not but they may have removed them.Nice that you are enjoying your blooms ...I have one flowering now....a pretty pink one.....but my zygos don't usually flower at this time...strange days......a bit of damage in some of the exposed areas of the garden.....but it is all part of the seasons I guess....and I love changes of season.(except Summer :(....)

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

77Sunset,
I am a beginner and building up my plant list.
If you find that you have any spare, I sure would like to take them off your hands. I don't mind paying for them, but you will have to give me information with each plant.
I live in Ipswich near Brisbane.
Good Luck!

bundaberg, Australia

For chrissy100,
First of all the "pretty pink one" you refer to is that a Dragon Fruit or a Zygo. Like you describe i too have tasted the Drg Frt at the markets here and that is their taste. i have 3 mature vines (3 Yrs Old) and cuttings growing in pots with roots emerging from the bottom so anyone in my area feel free to call and a plant is yours free. i know of a lady in Mackay Qld whose vine fruited 3 times in 2 yrs. There are 3 colors Red-Pink-White fruit but apparently all the flowers are yellow with white centre except for the Red which has a light pink circle inside the flower! I have had many flowers but yet no fruit? i can help with flowering though. If the vine is rambling big and healthy and not producing flowers then spray the whole vine with a weak solution of CHARLIE CARP once a month until buds appear then stop. This has definately worked for me and for fruit scatter hand fulls of POT ASH at roots which i have done and am anksiously awaiting results.

All The Best Bazza

Thumbnail by tulloch52
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I have Zygo's flowering now also. They have been flowering since may. I have recently aquired a piece from an Apricot one which has now got roots, but the leaf is looking very withered, although still green. I will have to take better care of it! I think they look great in hanging baskets and also planted with cane begonias in pots. I have heard if you have a white one and place it beside pink/red ones, the flowers will change over time to become pink/red also. Can anyone confirm this?
I think I have an Epiphyllum too, but can't be sure. I'll try to find it tomorrow and post a pic for someone to ID if possible, but I know it's not in flower.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I call this one "Wylie coyote"

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Hi Bazza yes the pink one is a Zygo......
About your dragon fruit have you tried playing "birds and bees" with a paintbrush on your dragon fruit blossoms?....I can't really see what the fruit has to offer very bland....but that might work....it would be interesting to try.Potash is terrific on everything that is a little shy about flowering..but sometimes if the insects are not around to pollinate you gotta give nature a helping hand....but with all that lovely fruit you grow you know that already....:) Lovely flowers
weed_woman....you are just loving it .....how wonderful that is what gardening is all about :) Happy gardening :)))))

Merino, Australia

Hello all. don't we all have fantastic plants ? It's a pleasure having the zygos because they bloom over winter even down here in the cold. Mine are doing really well but I am still looking out for a yellow flowered one. I have a couple that are classed as yellow but really are more a gold/pink.
I too have a dragon fruit piece but I don't think it is going to do much down here unless the weather gets warmer really quickly. It was a cutting and started off well but the cold and rain have made it go soft at the top. Oh well , one can't expect all tropical plants to survive the cold.
weed_woman, I have read a lot on zygos and the change in color is usually due to the weather. Some zygos will go more pink than others even on the same plant. It has to do with the cold. When the weather changes to their liking again they will revert to their usual color They need so many hours of cold each night to initiate flower buds.
Go on internet and type in michel combernoux. He has a fantastic lot of info and pictures on epiphyllums, zygos, rhipsalis etc.. Be prepared to drool over the giant shadehouse he visited.
I am only too pleased to sell or swap plants. My e-mail is jabi77@bigpond.com for anyone interested. I cannot deal with NT, Tas or WA because of their state regulations. You will find that a lot of these type of cacti will sometimes go limp and look pale usually after flowering but they seem to be like me and improve greatly when the warm weather arrives. Some of my epis look nearly dead after a great flowering season but soon swell up and get nice and green again. . I have posted a pic of another winter flower, the beautiful Cootamundra wattle in our driveway. Grat to have a chat will catch up again . I have to brave the very windy day and do some more work on the new shadehouse.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Sunset, thanks for that about Zygo's, I found what I think is the Epiphyllum but as I suspected it is not flowering. When do yours flower? I'm sure it had a flower once! It's definitely bigger than it used to be. It is sharing a pot with a Zygo, so maybe I should give it a pot of its own. I will Google Michel combernoux and have a look. Thanks.

Hi everyone thanks for the suggestion about the cane begonias sharing with the zygos....the begonias have not come through the cold very well...much shrivelling of the leaves (they will come back in the Spring)....I was just wondering though- my cane begonias get up to 3/4 ft tall does growing them in the baskets dwarf their height?
I am sure it would....so do you get plenty of flowers still? I love my begonias....and that will be a new thing to do with them.About the yellow zygos...I don't think I have ever seen one that does not have a little pink in it as it ages...so if you find one let us know.Perhaps with all the ones you have there could be a surprise in there....or you might want to try your own hand at breeding a "new yellow" what fun :)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi chrissy, I put this pic back in again. the pot on top of the ladder has an Orange cane begonia with a Hot pink Zygo. The begonia gets to 30-60cm high, but I am forever taking cuttings which keeps it in check. Do you grow yours in pots or in the garden? I have put 2 in the garden this year, and although they are not looking too happy right now, I'm sure they'll be O.K as the weather warms up. I'm using them in the understorey of a new tropical spot. I will post a pic soon, maybe in my diary. I just need some daylight at home to get out there and take some pics, (and do a little tidying and mulching!)
I keep telling myself it's warming up and tonight we are doing without the fire for the first time in about a month. So I must be right!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Close up of the orange Begonia.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Oh it is very bright and happy isn't it -I love them....they did not like that cold one little bit ...but I think they will be okay...my Angel wing begonias on the verandahs are fine even still flowering but the ones in the shadehouse ...well :(
Thanks for the pretty pictures ...I hope to be able to post soon
myself -although Winter is not all that exciting this year ...lots of crispy stuff around even the sheltered stuff has struggled at the tips
I have many shades of pinks and three different orange/coral begonias ...of course the red one that grows with every bit you stick in the ground or pot....they are all very giving plants don't you think...pretty leaves lovely flowers...easy to strike...etc.
By the way I saw the chat about the zygos needing cold...I think I read that they require a certain amount of darkness to promote the buds....on a gardening program they said don't grow them anywhere the light shines in the night....so I grow mine on the branches of decidous trees and it seems to work.Thanks for the pretty pics :)

Merino, Australia

Hello weed_woman and chrissy. I love the color of that orange begonia. I have 5 growing in a shadehouse and they seem to like it there. They do lose a few leaves during the cold weather but soon start growing as the weather warms. They are all touching the roof ( 6foot high ) and I keep cutting off the top and planting for more plants. I have pink ,red and dark pink flowering ones and am trying to get a white one to grow. It may do better when the summer arrives. don't they look just beautiful with those large sprays of flowers ? The yellow flowering plant I mentioned as a zygo should have been rhipsalidopsis which is a very similar plant but has a more open star flower instead of the tubular zygo flower. I have seen a pic of one in America. I have some rhipsalidopsis in red and pink.
The zygos do need that darkness chrissy. I read that too. Mine are all outside away from light at night. Apparently even a verandah light or light from a window will affect their flowering. Anyone wishing to trade or sell a few pieces of zygos, epis or cane begonias, please let me know. My e-mail is in previous entry above. I have put on a pic of one of my cane begonias. It has a lovely dark leaf.
My epis flower in late spring through summer. I am hoping for a bonanza of blooms from all the new arrivals. I have sold a few as there were just too many to fit in here and by the time all the cuttings grow I will be over run, but I love them all anyway.It has been very windy here and we have had a bit of rain.
The winter has been a lot milder though and I look forward to the warm weather. I have about 2 acres of garden and I love to grow just about anything that I can fit in. I must go as we are going shopping and there is sure to be a nursery open that I will have to check out.
Happy gardening.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Hi there 77sunset I don't know where Merino is...but where ever it is it must be one of the few places that missed that horror cold snap a couple of weeks back....places that did not know what frosted tropicals were found out the hard way......but apart from that
the Winter is reasonable 2 days at 23c is pretty good.You sound like you are rally enjoying yourself! and oh yes those wonderful begonias ........just love them.....I bought one last spring that did not have a name on it ...it is very different to all the others......instead of druping panicles of flowers....it holds it's flowers upright like bunches of apple blossom pink.....they are carried on bright green
leaves.....and it strikes readily.....never seen one like that before.
I have some with the "fingered foliage "and some that are just grown for the foliage....the latest being a pink purple with cut leaves......I love them but they don't seem to be fashionable any longer and are not all that easy to find in the Nurserys not here in NSW anyway.....I get lots of the tiny seed but am not sure how to germinate them ....any clues anyone? enjoy the day :)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks Chrissy and Sunset
Begonias from seed. It's like dust is it not? Fibrous rooted begonias can be raised by seed sown between July and November. Sow seed thinly over a mixture of peat/sand and loam. Press the seed lightly into the media. Sit the tray in water untill moisture creeps to the surface. Cover the tray with a sheet of glass and keep in a shaded sheltered spot. Ref. "The Australian Garden encyclopedia" by Murdoch books.
Chrissy, It seems as though indoor plants went out of fashion for a while there, but I believe they are coming back in, and I am trying to get some ready for the markets in anticipation of the next interior design fad!
It looks as though I will have to wait for spring/summer for an Epiphyllum bloom. I will have to repot and change its location, as it is in the shade and apparently needs some sun to do its thing.
My Zygo is in shade (no direct sunlight at all) but is exposed to party and veranda lights at least 2 hours a night. ( I use the Gazebo/rotunda as a potting shed in the evenings and use the party lights to see) It has been blooming it's head off since May! But its leaves look tired. So I don't fully believe the denial of light theory, unless mine is flowering in response to the low light recieved during the day. mmmmm.

Yes indoor plants are coming back....I even saw rubber plants for sale again ..I hope everyone rembers to keep them in pots.I chucked out a China Doll about 6 years ago...(a tired houseplant that was given to me)...well when I say chucked out I mean gave it a holiday down the side of the house...big mistake....it grew roots down through the pot and grew and grew....I thought pretty leaves...can't hurt to leave it there...wrong ....now a tall telegraph poll of a tree...it does have beautiful big white flowers in the Summer....they look like the Moonflowers (vine type)....however they self seed everywhere and I am forever pulling up the seedlings.So just a word of warning to everyone who puts their indoor plants outside.....make sure they are not really trees in disguise....like the ficus family....China Dolls.....the Lucky bean ...that is all the rage -is really a huge rainforest tree ....the beautiful black bean.It is ok for gardeners that know whats what but there are all the new gardeners who don't know about weeping figs etc I have seen two rapidly growing rubber trees planted out the front of a new home.....scary stuff. What type of things are you getting ready for in door plants......when my son had a shop in town I used to buy trays of beautiful cactus in terra cotta pots from the Markets and place them up the front to draw the customers in....they would always be gone by lunchtime.Men would buy them mostly.So I guess because it was the city that means the cactus are ok as houseplants?...what about succulents they need to be outside don't they?

Merino, Australia

Hello again I am sitting indoors today to keep out of the cold wind. It is otherwise quite mild with a few showers.
chrissy , Merino is in southwest Victoria and as we live just out of town on a hill, we rarely get frosts. In that awful cold snap a few weeks ago, we did get a little hail which did no damage, but boy, was it cold, The town can be white and here on the hill we can look out over the white paddocks, but not have any frost at all . I have lost , strangely enough, spider plants, to an extreme cold blast a few years ago. I thought nothing ever touched them but they shriveled to nothing . I dug them all up and threw under some trees out of the way and they are growing well again.
I like your comments on what can happen if you put indoor plants in the garden. I, too, have seen some disastrous results due to ignorance of the real nature of some plants. Even ordinary garden plants sometimes have a secret double life if put in the right environment. What will happily grow in a tiny space and go no further, may turn into a black plague or boston strangler, when moved to a different climate. I have grown the common agapanthus, spider plant, cootamundra wattle and various others without any sign of self seeding or wanting to take over the country , but which can go out of control very quickly somewhere else.
I think maybe there should be more info on labels , in large print, re. potential problems .
I am awaiting a still day to get out with my trusty glyphosate to tackle the very fast growing weeds , but have to wait for the wind to go away.
I tried some little cacti at a market too chrissy ,and mine were all bought by young girls. I don't know what that means, but they seemed to think they were cute.
weed_woman, I agree that zygos will grow and flower even though there is light at night ..It may depend on how much and for how long they have light on them. Some of mine were on the front veranda once,with light from a window on them every night and they flowered quite well.They now all live in their own shadehouse Plants are like people with their own likes and dislikes.
Must go as the sun is out and I have been given some new geranium cuttings to pot up. One is of a beautiful tulip geranium which I have never seen.

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Indoor Plant! (Oxymoron) Anyone ever seen a plant pack up and volunteer to move into a house?
On average, the climate preferred by human beings (mid 20s Celsius, low to moderate humidity, no direct sun, low overall light levels, minimal air movement, etc.) is NOT a happy place for most plants as we know. The sheer fact that so many species are tough enough to survive it continues to startle me to this day. I am not surprised then when most "house plants" turn out to be ravening monsters the minute they encounter any sort of outdoor conditions, especially free root run in the ground. I think restricted root run does more to affect the overall size of a plant than any other factor which I can recall (think of Bonsai). I've sold and traded a LOT of cacti and other succulents over more than thirty years. Time and time again I've seen people buy a plant, go on about how "cute" it was and know in my heart it was probably destined to turn into a languishing spindle in the middle of their dining room table, no matter how often you tell them it won't be happy indoors - these people wouldn't buy a live fish and keep it on the lawn, so why do they think they can do the equivalent with a plant?

Mind you, I have no objection to making money from people, I just think it's a bad thing when you see someone doing something which is bound to be a disaster in the longer term. If nothing else, a bad experience is likely to put them off coming back for more plants. So many species get a reputation for difficulty, when it is the fault of a lack of knowledge of the plant which is actually the problem.

Chrissy's comment about the China Doll "Tree" cracked me up though - my Mother's local supermarket has a very small plant nursery section and they had 3 plants of it for sale - 20cm pots, nice bushy specimens about 60cm high - $39.95 each! needless to say they were sold the next time we went in there (I kept muttering to Mum "more money than sense"). I too grow quite a few of the well known "invasives" Agapanthus, Spider Plants, Boston Fern, multiple kinds of Tradescantia, both in ground and potted. Plants which have shown a distinct ability to get past my pruning shears in the past include Wisteria, Morning Glory, White Jasmine, the climbing Asparagus fern, Passion fruit grafting stock, assorted Ivys and the common white flowered Potato Creeper. Tree seedlings which come up at random (birds) or from self seeding garden specimens are less of a problem as they get pounced upon as Bonsai starters. I have had olives, silky oak (Grevillea robusta), occasional pines, Washingtonia filifera palms, elms, beeches and birches; even a Casuarina, you name it - my current garden seems to have a surfeit of tiny fig trees thanks to the big tree behind the house, plus some other odds and ends which are as yet too small to identify. I agree with Sunset about the labelling too. If the nursery trade can afford to print up big fancy labels with pretty pictures on them the least they can do is give you the proper Latin plant name and some idea of the maximum plant size of a mature specimen while they are at it!

Oh well, as we all know there are three types of plants in every garden - the ones that you fuss over like the royal offspring and which cost you a fortune and die with no notice (in my case that would be Clematis and Marantas - I have killed three of each!). The second group are the ones which do well for you and make up the bulk of what you grow and the third contains the plants which take you over and cause the air to turn blue every time you see them, even in other people's places (AKA Weeds, Invasives or that !^@%#$&@!$#, LOL!). What makes gardening interesting (and gives us something to talk about) is that the three categories contain DIFFERENT plants for each of us.

One or two quick specific points, Chrissy, do you have a local plant nursery, fete or council run plant exchange, maybe a Bonsai Society? - you might be able to turn your nuisance seedlings to some benefit given the price of the plant commercially. Also no Cacti or Succulents ever do really well as long term house plants. My best advice has always been to tell people to get three (all about the same size) put two outside, and bring each one in for a week in rotation. Really, for most succulents, including cacti, a week at a time indoors is about as much as they can take without showing damage of some sort unless your house has something like an indoor atrium or sunroom.

Re Begonias: I had an old friend who was heavily into the tuberous types but the only Begonia I ever truly coveted was the Iron Cross (have you noticed I like spiky things) but I refuse to get one until I can find a way to keep it happy, and that I need to think more about. Oddly enough, speaking of things coming back into fashion, bedding begonias have been big with the municipal gardens here in Adelaide lately - for a long time it was pansies, petunias, and occasionally celosia but they seem to be branching out again.

Weed-woman & Sunset, re Zygos, I too have had successful flowering seasons in the last two years, after having had no luck at all in the past; so I have been giving this a bit of thought and also doing a lot of reading here in the Orchid Cacti forum. My current batch of flowering Zygos are plants a bit less than 5 years old. At my last house they lived on the path against the brick wall by the back door, behind a set of iron plant stands holding other succulents. Now they live on the ground in clay pots under the big melaluca tree. In neither of these places have the plants been exposed to direct sunlight in any season, just reasonably bright but filtered light. We have also just had one of our coldest winters for a long time and they have all flowered like mad. Zygos and their relatives are mostly winter flowering, so it is reasonable to assume that this is triggered by some combination of cold with short days/long nights, The affect of things like patio lights etc. would depend greatly on what kind of lights they are, as the wavelength matters. Red (warm) light affects most plants more than blue (cool) light so I would expect an Incandescent light bulb to annoy Zygos a lot more than a fluorescent strip light for example. Most timing issues in plants are derived from the conversion of one chemical to another, and flowering is no exception, I've done a bit of hunting on the Internet and found a reasonably approachable article on the subject here: http://www.adonline.id.au/flowers/photoperiod.shtml if you want to know a bit more about the topic.

Re your Epiphyllum, Weed_woman, can you move it to a sunnier location, without repotting it? If you repot now I think you will blow any chance of it flowering successfully this year. In my experience repotted Epies tend to sulk and NOT flower for the first season until they settle in. If you can give it some sun now (about 3 hours of morning sun will do) and give it a dose of fish emulsion about once a fortnight it should be good to go - being pot bound (within reason) does not seem to bug them in fact just the opposite! The other food I recommend for floral encouragement is Phostrogen. It comes in quite small packets of crystals and mixes up in water - very economical as I use it only on plants which are unresponsive or seem a bit "depressed" and it has no bad effects on any cacti or other succulents that I have ever seen. If you can't find Phostrogen, ask at your local plant nursery or garden supplier for any liquid plant food with a low Nitrogen high Phosphorus high Potassium ratio. In addition stuff a few Banana peels under the plant - like many tree growing plants (staghorns, orchids etc) Epis love these, they contain a lot of Potassium, and the banana peel acts just like a big slow release pill as it rots away, letting it out a bit at a time.

Lastly, the tulip geranium sounds interesting. Can you find us a picture, Sunset? I've seen Ivy geraniums, common geraniums, zonal geraniums, royal geraniums (all actually Pelargonium) and cranesbills ("real" Geraniums) but never heard of a tulip Geranium. What does it do? Inquiring minds want to know, LOL, Kaelkitty.

Yes tulip ones...no I haven't heard of those...how interesting.I get a lot of donated plants from the birds....and I give away what I think may be a good thing but the Wild Olives get destroyed as they are popping up for miles around from a neglected and unclipped hedge a couple of miles from here.The grapes I give away with a warning that they could be anything..(I live near Vicary's Winery) so they may be treasures for all I know- but I don't need hundreds! The same with the hundreds of Mulberries...they are given away with the warning that they could be anything too as I have a red... purple and Shartoot(the spelling is wrong I think) but you know that one that is about 4 inches long and very sweet.Anything that I do not approve of goes into the compost....I try to make sure I don't allow too many things to "escape".Yes the banana skins all go out onto the mulch.....I just lay them on top as they go black almost straight away.About the light and dark triggering some things to flower...the program I recall said that some things change with the temps and some things change with the shorter hours of daylight....two of those mentioned about the shorter daylight hours were zygos and Chrysanthemums (sorry about the spelling)....the program was explaining how the Nurserys "forced" the flowering out of season by cutting off the the light.I think they said pointsettias (sic) too.OK for any of the new gardeners looking at this...the is what that cute little "lucky bean" indoor plant is and should be....I am lucky enough to have the room

Thumbnail by
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Whew, thanks Kaelkitty! What a fund of information you are. Thanks for going to so much trouble!
For my indoor plants, I have a range of Dracenas, good old Aspidistras, Stromanthes, and others that I just can't think of unless I go and have a look, and it's too cold!
Alot of my stuff is understorey plants for warmer climates, so they require protection from sun, wind e.t.c. They all subsist with low light but would require a spell outside or in a shade house for best results. I have been experimenting with multiple planting of different types of plants. I have made laminated A4 labels which are in front of each block of plants, indicating the habit, size and requirements of the particular plant. I get comments on the labeling all the time, and people will stand and read them for ages before making up their minds. I also take a couple of books on plants and a pest and disease book, as I'll guarantee someone will ask me about a problem with a plant at home every time!
I also sell succulents, which I haven't noticed any one age/sex is more prone to buying. I only take a small variety in small pots so they are easily within most price ranges for kids to adults. I wouldn't think of suggesting they go indoors, but also sell some ceramic pots for $2 and $3 for putting outside. I also make arrangements of succulents in shallow terracotta bowls which go like hot cakes.
I don't take it too seriously, as It's all about not throwing out good cutting material, and experimenting with things for my Horticulture course. Alot of stuff goes in the garden and the rest is potted up for friends/sale/lor later!
As for escaping potted plants, I've been lucky enough to see results from others, but I love my Aggies and Rhoeo. I deadhead the Aggies before they set seed so feel I'm doing my bit to stave off weeds. I wouldn't sell them though.
Tafe keeps us informed of the latest weed lists and encourages us to destroy any plants with weed potential and definitely not sell them to the unknowing public!
Duranta spp are the next target of the council up here. They have removed them from every public garden. They are also the most used plant in Landscaping in Coffs Harbour to date!
I was a good girl and threw out the ones I had for my own garden and replaced them with a Croton that has light green oval leaves with gold spots dusted on. They look just as beautiful, and dont require any pruning so far, in 2 years.

Merino, Australia

Phew, people !!!!! What a lovely lot of reading from you all. I love reading about other people's gardens.
I am a really amateur gardener. I have never done a course or attended workshops so all my garden " expertise" has been gathered over many years and many, many gardens. I was a bit of a "Johnny Appleseed " for a while in my earlier years as when you rent , it can be a movable existence. there are a lot of gardens that are hopefully, still growing along after I had to leave them. Moving from Vic to WA and back, has given me an insight into the different soil types and plant types .
The soil here where I am finally permanent, is clay soil and at the moment, very wet and squishy. In a few months it will be hard enough to break your shovel.
My plants love it.
kaelkitty, you are an absolute fund of info. I too, use Phostrogen and banana peels. My banana peels go out around the roses.
The best fertiliser for everything, I have found, is good old Blood & Bone mixed with potash. I throw it on everything in Spring .If I find any osmocote or similar on special, I will also throw that around too. I find the plants do well and with all the birds to eat the pests, I use no sprays . A few holes here and there is normal. If a bit of powdery mildew dares to rear it;s head, I use a bit of powdered milk in water, but have only ever had to do it once. Black spot on the roses does appear from time to time but goes away on it's own.
My zygos are still flowering and it may be due to our cold winter. I have lost about 4 of the epiphyllums as I was unable to move them from where I had parked them on bringing them home. We had 3 inches of rain over a short time and they were waterlogged. The previous owner had a lot in baskets, still with the bottom saucer attached so the water was too much. I always rip off these bottoms to allow free drainage.
Must go as I am expecting the mail and am awaiting some new mixed canna seeds. I have never grown them from seed so it will be interesting.
I am posting a pic of the tulip geranium.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Wow, what a nice flower!

Love those tulip geraniums...any chance you know the botanical name? Do the flowers stay cupped like that....I guess so hence the name ...very unique and interesting.Thanks for showing it to us :)
77 sunset...nice that you have put down roots (excuse the pun)...
lots of fun to be had now.I am on heavy clay too but with a bit of hard work I think it is very rewarding....( I use heaps of washed river sand)....and cow poo.....built up beds if things are touchy re wet roots....maybe like your tulip geraniums...I would really look after them.I agree with you that we are amongst top gardeners here
not only clever but generous in sharing their knowledge.....KK is brilliant and brical too .....ww is teaching us clever little tricks too...like you I only have many years experience....different conditions and making mistakes....knowing better next time....that isn't a bad apprenticeship either....thanks everyone.....:)

......Just loving that! :)

Blushing the same colour as the "Tulip Geranium" I thank you, chrissy, for the kind words. Washed river sand is one of my favourite 'magic ingredients'. The one I get is very coarse and a yellow ochre and white grain combination with a lot of tiny quartz rock mixed in - the particle size can go up to 3mm across. I put it in all my potting mixes - bulbs, cacti, other succulents, 'indoor' plants; you name it; and I use it neat to strike almost all my cuttings. The cacti and other succulents just love it and cuttings make massive roots impressively fast.

Re the Tulip geranium, now that I've seen it, I think I've got one! Just the same flower shape, only mine is a lighter 'lolly pink' colour. I did a bit of Internet digging and found out that they are also called Rosebud Geraniums, and are a subtype of the Zonal Pelargoniums. Therefore the botanical name would be Pelargonium x hortatum cv. ' ? ' . The ' ? ' is, of course the sticking point of the ID since it looks like there are a LOT of cultivars out there! I found the best info on this web site http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Rosebud_Geranium so I hope it helps. TTFN, KK.

Merino, Australia

Hello to you both chrissy and kaelkitty. I am having a rest after being out shopping most of the day. We went to Portland , about an hours drive from here on the coast. It was so windy that if I wasn't carrying shopping, I would have blown away. At least it was not as cold down there and it didn't rain. Coming back we ran into the rain and it has turned quite cold. I suppose one should expect cold as it is winter but the weather has been on the milder side , more like autumn . The blossom trees are out now and I have bulbs flowering all over the garden. The magpies are nearly finished nest building so spring must be close. Our magpies here are so quiet and we have a bit of fun with them as they love to pick on the leftover bones of a roast. My husband drills a hole in the bone and we tie it to a brick . you should see the antics as they all try to claim as theirs. We have one very cheeky last years young who comes marching in the back veranda demanding bread or meat. He will eat from your hand and we are hoping that the new young this year will turn out as quiet.
That tulip geranium looks very pretty. I can't wait for it to grow and flower. I am no expert on botanical names and as long as I have a fair idea of what a plant is I never bother. I had a friend years ago who new next to nothing about gardening and admitted she could not grow anything but could rattle off the botanical names of everything in the garden. She used to get me to do the garden and she would tell me what I was planting. Very frustrating .
I have lots of hellebores flowering at the moment and my favorite is a pure white. Looks great on these dull days.
I'm like you kaelkitty, I love river sand and use it in all my pots. the cuttings do well in it.
At the moment I am lucky to be able to get mine from the river itself as it has been dredged to clean it out a bit and there is a lovely big pile of it close to here.
I had a friend here last week who also likes to garden but he was talking about how he was digging his soil. I said it was about time he started doing things the easy way and only dig when absolutely necessary
I have a whole paddock garden full of plants and all I ever dug was a hole to plant each plant. I see no reason to spoil ones enjoyment by unnecessary hard work. Besides, plant roots will soon get through the toughest soil a lot better than we can with a shovel. I have put lots of sheep manure and pea straw down over the years and it all seems to break down and find it's way into the soil by itself. I use lots of blood and bone with potash and the plants are healthy which is all that matters. If a plant can't survive here it is no good to me as we do get this very cold weather then some extra hot weather during summer. We cannot use a lot of water and it is surprising to a lot of people who have come here that the plants I grow do well on so little water. I think over the years the English way has stuck with us but even the exotics will surprise you with how little water they do need. The husband of a friend once used to follow us around as we put down reticulation in their garden saying it would never give the plants enough water. We often caught him with the hose, watering the garden. Because he could not see water laying on the ground he thought the plants were dry. It was hard to explain how the retic system spread the water under the ground.
All these old English habits die hard.
Must go , happy gardening all.

I'm with you sunset - never dug a hole with out putting something in it! and a good drink once a week is far better that the frequent spraying that many people indulge in. Our local water restrictions have been getting tighter and tighter. First they tried watering on alternate days - if your street # was odd you got Monday, Wednesday Etc. and evens got Tuesday, Thursday Etc. I can't remember what they did with the odd day (this was a while ago) but the idiots out there started to use MORE water, since they interpreted it to mean that they HAD to water every other day! Then they banned sprinklers, next they banned hoses between 8am and 8pm, and finally last summer we went to a complete hose ban.

I mulch and compost, and grow as little as possible that is very water hungry - usually only a few green vegies for salads, and I usually do those in planter troughs with saucers underneath so their roots have a continuous source of water to draw on. This year I'm trying Strawberries in the same system but with taller pots so their feet don't get too wet. ($3.50 for four strawberry plants vs. $4.99+ per punnet in the supermarket - no competition). I have also just acquired two brambles - a thornless Blackberry and a thornless Youngberry - that lot, along with the fig, the pear, and the plum trees which were already here when I moved in should give me more fruit than one diabetic person should even look at! The only thing I'll probably still buy occasionally will be blueberries as I love them and they'll never do well in my climate no matter where I plant them. TTFN, KK.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hey Sunset, KK and Chrissy. funny about the Botanical names. When I started at TAFE, all my fellow students and I had trouble pronouncing everything and weren't game to say names out loud, now we must sound really pretentious, walking through the campus uttering Latin words by the dozen as we discuss some thing or other. Its funny how many pronunciations of the same word there are, like Clivea for one!
I've learned a little about gardening from my Mum and my own experience, magazines, books e.t.c, but the most I've learned is from elderly lady gardeners who are happy to share their knowledge of plant names and growing tips, and offer cuttings by the boot load! TAFE can be a little tiresome, but I only go one day a week, and I learn at least one new thing each time, aswell as making friends/contacts with similar interests. I recommend it, as there are all age groups attending from all walks of life!
Hey Sunset, I saw some really healthy Zygos today, but they had not a sign of flowers! I suspect they get too much light. A fellow student suggested my zygo could be flowering in response to coloured lights, as Blue light make plants lush green and bushy, but delays flowering. I have my zygo close to party lights, so tomorrow when it is light, I'll see which colour is closest to it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.