GingerAle

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I added GingerAle to my heuchera menagerie this weekend! Looks very similar to Caramel/Peach Flambe and Marmalade. At least to the way they look right now, not in the early spring. A shade paler than the others are though.

MollyD

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Very Nice!
The ginger ale's that I've seen (I don't have this one) seem to have more of a lighter-greenish yellow tint to them than the others? Does it actually still go toward orange? I'd love to see a picture of it later this summer after it's settled in.

My Peach Flambe isn't even close to green. It's a wonderful color, really is like the dark blush color on a peach, kinda coppery. It's in a pretty sunny spot, gets about half-dayish sun, including afternoons. So far, it's taking the sun very, very well.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

MollyD, we planted 'Ginger Ale' this year also. The color of the foliage isn't as vivid as some of the other "caramel' colored Heucheras but the flowers are very distinctive - almost a lemon yellow and very charming :) Although they're done blooming, I'll try to get a few pictures of the foliage when I get a chance and post them.

Debbie

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I'll try to snap some pictures this week and post them of my plants. I just felt it was a pale version of some of what I already had. I've skipped adding some of the purple heucheras I've seen for the same reason. Way too similar to Plum Pudding and Purple Palace to be worth spending money on. Greens I'm interested in if they show something distinctive like Vanilla Spice does. That's one I have my eye open for.
It could be that they're all very different at some times of the year and not others. Maybe I'm coming across them at the wrong times??
I noticed that this spring I got three Plum Puddings from Walmart. All were huge floppy plants which weren't in keeping with TNN's description of them. Since then they've lost those floppy leaves and regrown new leaves more in keeping with TNN's description which is a much nicer look.

MollyD

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I also have Ginger Ale and love it. It is close to Caramel, but still love the color. Nice and bright.

Molly,
Glad your Plum Puddings came around for you.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

GG I read your post with a touch of amusement cause since I posted that two of the Plum Puddings have dropped all their leaves flat on the ground. No idea why. They're still attached but laying flat no matter how much water they get. The third Plum Pudding still looks normal . One of the flattened Plum Puddings is next to the normal looking one and the other is in a different bed. There is no new growth at the center.

Any suggestions from those of you with more experience with heucheras? They're not dead but obviously not well.

MollyD

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Molly,
I don't know what to tell you. That's terrible.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I've been trying to figure it out. We had 97 degree temps and that's when they collapsed. Maybe that's the reason but doesn't explain why others are all okay so far.

MollyD

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

No it doesn't. It's weird

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Very and frustrating.

Molly

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Maybe it's some type of bug? Although what I don't know.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

whatever it is seems confined so far to those two Plum Puddings.

Molly

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

At least it isn't spreading, lets hope it doesn't

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

So far it seems to be just the Plum Puddings. Last Plum pudding had one of the deceased on one side and an astilbe on the other with a Snow Angel in front.

MollyD

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

MollyD, check out this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/621259/ where there is information about Black Vine Weevil. Hopefully this is not what's causing the problem for your Plum Pudding but it's the first thing, after inspecting for mole/vole damage, I suspect when a Heuchera goes down seemingly overnight :(

Debbie

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I'll take some pictures today so you guys can see what I'm seeing. No holes in the ground either.

MollyD

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Molly,
That is a good thread to read. Not very long but worth the read.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

It was interesting but I don't think it fit my plant. Here are those photos I took a few hours ago.

First one is a close up of one of the Plum Puddings. Doesn't look dead, more like it fainted!

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Here it is next to a bunch of Amber Waves.

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Here's the other one. It's in a bed about 50 ft from the first one.

I think you can see the plants around it are all okay.

MollyD

Thumbnail by MollyD1953
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Looks like an elephant stepped on it! You aren't having a very localized infestation of elephants, are you? Although, I do think one would notice that right off. ;) Hmmm...how about a local infestation of invisible elephants?

Seriously, did I see one new normal-looking leaf on one of those? What about cutting off all the flattened leaves on one of the plants and see if it starts to recover?

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I don't think any of those leaves are new ones. They're what it had when it went umph. Maybe I should be looking for invisible elephants -LOL

MollyD

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Molly,
That poor thing does look pretty sad. Wish I knew what to tell you.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm wondering if it's that Southern Blight that I've heard about on the hosta forum.

MollyD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.