My new best friend :o)

Yorkshire,

I thought you might like to see this lovely little guy. He is living in my greenhouse and eating loads of bugs (you can tell from the size of him, LOL)
I've named him 'Touchwood' :o))

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

You are lucky to have your toad helping in the greenhouse, did he just turn up? We used to have lots of toads in the garden but I've not seen one for years. Plenty of frogs though and when I was weeding yesterday (between downpours) there were dozens of tiny frogs jumping about everywhere. I had to be careful where I stood. It is good to know the fish don't eat them all. I try to keep the edges of one side of the pond full of plants so the tadpoles have somewhere to hide and it seems to work. I'll have to try and get some toad spawn next year and hope they survive.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

That looks indeed a very happy and well-fed toad Terry! A great helper for the gardener it is.

Wish there was a way to send a load of toads to you Pat! I must have hundreds by now in all sizes! When I leave the kitchen door open they just hop in, specially on rainy days, and I even find them in my bathroom!

Thanks Bonitin, I don't think I would like them in the bathroom though!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

He certainly is fat Terri! I have some toads too, not a lot but they are on the increase although I haven't seen them much this year. I left some grass sods where they dig in for shelter so they probably just come out at night now. They are a good friend to have.

Oh bonitin, it's great to have friendly toads, but that is a little too friendly! You will have to set up a toadery in your bathroom for them!

Yorkshire,

Thanks everyone, I'm so pleased to have him. He's a little treasure. Last Summer I did have a teeny one around for some time and then he disappeared. I'm wondering if this is the same one who has grown 'considerably'.
Pat, our garden has been heaving with frogs of all sizes since these rains began too. Today there was about 12 of them all sitting around in a circle in the pond. We called it a 'staff meeting', LOL
Bonitin, I can just imagine all your toads hopping around. They're lovely, but not in a bubble bath, haha
Wallaby, I didn't know that toads were communal creatures. I have been wondering if there could probably be others in the greenhouse that we haven't seen. When I said as much to hubby he said that he thought they were solitary except at breeding time. Do yours all live in close proximity? Can't imagine two toads fighting over territory somehow but if they live happily I'd love to find more than one in the greenhouse.

Happy gardening everyone!!

Terri

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Lovely news Terri and thanks for the photo.
I longed for a toad in my garden in Kent and never did see one in 30 years. here there are plenty and it's great to come across them when weeding. They often seem to turn up in greenhouses in the UK so perhaps they like higher temperatures?
Yours is certainly a chubby chap. I love to watch the ones here blowing themselves up to be more offputting to a predator.... They look as if they'll go pop lol

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

My bathroom is too small to fit a toadery Wallaby! It's mainly my fault when they get access to it. Shouldn't leave the door open.
When I find them I just carefully pick them up and put them in their place (the garden), they don't mind that, they actually like the warmth of my hand when I pick them up and are reluctant to leave.

A baby toad;

Thumbnail by bonitin
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I love toads and dearly wish I had one to visit my garden - I have loads of frogs but you always hanker after what you don't have....!

Nothing to do with toads, but I've just noticed the different zones we are supposed to be in. Am I in 7b because of the height above sea level where I live?

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

It's how cold your garden gets in the winter Pat

Yes, and I suppose because we are higher up than some areas further north we get colder winters and more frost, and if they are nearer the coast the sea will keep their temperatures a bit higher.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.