JULY THREAD 2007

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I just stay home for rest today cause still raining on and off sometime...

Oh, Cod Liver Oil for dog is help to stop itch which it allergy to fleas...

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Rain has finally ended here and they canceled our flash flood warnings. Water has drained out of my yard overnite. Now to see how the plants have weathered all this.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh my! Yard looks pretty good after the rain, and yes EvaMae, those weeds just pulled right up. woo hoo

Now I do have a problem I need your help with. I've never used pest controls in my yard (little one and the 2 doggies have made me worried about spraying anything). I have several red-twig dogwood bushes in my yard (about 5' tall and wide). I noticed a few days ago one of them had lots of holes in the leaves. I figured it was a pest of some kind. Today I find the bush nearly stripped of it's leave and thousands of caterpillars on it. What do I use? I don't want them to move on to other bushes or worse my collection of daylilies. Do I use Sevin dust? Help!

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh man, I moved here from South Louisiana after Katrina to get away from all of the rain, etc., I think it followed me here :-(

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Try for Neen Oil for the tree...

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Thx Rusty

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I need to get that Neem Oil. Just have been procrastinaing though. lol.

No rain today and the sun came out and it got sticky. All in all not bad. Haven't been out so don't know if the flooding is done for or not.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Rusty, thank you for starting the monthly threads so faithfully. That is a real blessing to all of us.

The rain has stopped here for the time being. I just dumped 2 1/2" of water out of the rain gauge. I only put it up about the last 48 hours of the rain. I heard about 3" - 5" had already fallen. The drive and yarden look like there has been that much.

I have a busy week ahead. As usual. But I won't be going to PG on Wednesday so I'll have that day to work outside. I hope, because I"m taking today off. I pulled a few weeds while walking around looking the place over.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Your Welcome, Leaflady...

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Eva May---- I think that dog needs to see a vet. Ours has skin problems every couple of years are so when whatever it is gets to her. Our vet prescribed something called Bayril Otic. The stuff is a lotion. you put a drop on the spot and rub it in. The stuff is not cheap and all you get is a tiny 30ml bottle that will fit in the palm of yourt hand with a lot of room to spare. She also get melatonin pills everyday when it is like this and her food is all dry lamb and rice food.

JUST GOT BACK FROM VET-- The price of Batril Otic it is now $35 a bottle. Also a bottle of shampoo called Etiderm. It is antiseptic at $7 a 8oz bottle.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2007 11:39 AM

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I live north of Kansas City and we did not get one drop of rain all weekend. We worked outside roofing my garden shed in the nice cool cloudy weather. Just goes to show what 15 or 20 miles can make in weather.

langbr, soapy water will kill almost all soft body insects, like worms. I use it in the spring if my pine trees get worms. I have two dogs and a cat and always worry about pesticides. I will probably have to use pesticides unless someone can tell me how to get rid of bag worms without resorting to pesticides.

Cut the limb that the bag worms are on, off. Then go burn it. You don't have to cut the whole limb, just near the worms. If I remember correctly sometimes poking holes in the bags will help too.

Problem I can't cut because the tree is 20 feet tall and is basically covered in bag worms. It just makes me sick. The way I noticed we were on the roof of my new garden shed roofing when I looked at the top of the blue spruce and I couldn't figure out why it was brownish color. When I got on the ground I looked closer and there are small bag worms everywhere!!!!! The worms have basically eaten most of the top!!!!! I didn't even know a blue spruce could get bag worms.

Well, that tree could be a goner. I asked my dad and he agreed. If a tree is covered like you are saying then there is nothing you can do. But if the experts know better, speak up and let us know!! :~)

Happ and Pepper~ I'm not a bagworm expert...I just play one in my yard....Have you sprayed with BT, the biological liquid? It's best to spray the bagworms and the trees very well in June as the larva emerges, after June, you do have to resort to a pesticide if the larva are spinning their bags.( Maybe your larva are a little slow and you can still use the BT!) My arborvitae were badly infested last year and we treated them with BT, had to retreat them again this year but they are recovering nicely! I read on one of the threads, where someone picked the worms and the bags off and put them in hot soapy water..but you'll need a cherry picker to do that at 20 feet! ...

Everyone have a great 4th! ;0)

Edited to add~ ask the real experts on the tree and shrub forum, they can give you better insight.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2007 11:41 PM

That tree can be sprayed for bag worms. You just need a tree service to do it.

Well, we sprayed he got on top of scaffoling and I hope we got them. We went to the local farmer coop and got spray, so now I will just keep a close eye on it. Sure don't want to lose the tree. 17 degrees got the plants but not the bugs! DARN....

We just got hit with heavy rains....again. lol. So much that we had a flash flood warning and our yard had several creeks and the road flooded right in front of the driveway. Have never seen that happen before. lol. We don't need the rain but I'm not complaining. Want a wet summer. Not a dry one.

Again the KC got hit and we up north didn't get one drop. I was in hopes we would get some it is getting dry around here. What a difference a few miles make.

We got hit pretty hard. At times the wind gusted so hard that it bent our flagpole over halfway. Takes alot of wind to get it to bend that much. It was crazy.

Well, I am glad I missed that storm then. I have really gotten into elephant ears and have about 4 pots of them and that would of been ugly! Guess I had better get out and start watering.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My DIL Holly raises wonderful EEs. I've just gotten started in them. One thing I have learned is that they are water lovers. Give them lots and they grow well. Let them go thirsty and they are tiny and pathetic. They also need nitrogen as they are basically folage plants. I've never seen one bloom.

I heard a bad storm way up in the atmosphere yesterday and prayed that it would just stay up there. It sounded like a train(tornados sound like that) and lasted for about 30 min or more. If it ever came down I don't know about it. I'm about 50 - 60 miles east of Pepper.

I am cleaning house and getting ready for overnight guests. Also other family members who will stay at Kyle & Holly's. I have a lot more to get done.

We took the pumpkins to the Zoo yesterday, gorgeous hot weather, just to drive home into the storm. My EE's survived the wind but they're in a sheltered area, the snapdragons, gaillardias,alliums and verbenas are flopping all over on the ground and sidewalks.

I have enough wind just on normal days. I can't shelter the ee's very well at all. Probably something I shouldn't have started but oh well. I am always afraid I will over water, but that may not be a problem the way you all are sounding. How do you all overwinter the ee's, in pots or dig them up and store the tuber? I know how in the fall my timing is not so good so everything (except dahlias) are in pots so I can cart them in if I don't have time to dig. Garden6 are your other plants that got hit by the wind coming back? I use to live in Lansing before moving back to the MO side. I do some genealogy and my DH's family is and have been there since 1860.

Happ~ there are several methods for overwintering EE's, and because I have pumpkins I do not dust them with fungicide. My favorite method is to dig up the EE's after the frost has killed the foliage, cut off the foliage and rinse the tubers well then air dry on a mesh screen in the garage. When completey dried, place tuber sin a closed labeled paperbag and overwinter it in the garage. Next mid Spring replant in desired garden. If the EE's are in pots, I cut the frosted foliage off and overwinter the pot in the garage. ...This is my second year living here and we really like the small town atmosphere as well as our neighbors. So you probably are very familiar with my neighborhood.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I has been so busy this week.... Paint in my 3rd bedroom already today and color is "Canyon Sun" from Lowe's and it not done yet to paint the trims...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Gorgeous, vibrant color!

Love the color!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

So beautiful. Your house must be so colorful and cheery.

I just fixed the AC unit in my bedroom. Very tedious and difficult task. LOL I had noticed a morning glory vine waving around inside my bedroom window above the AC unit. Somehow it had found a crack between the raised lower window and the top one. I went outside a bit ago to pull it back out and found the vine was inside the AC unit. So I kept working until I got it all out and the unit now works just fine. THANK YOU, JESUS.

Well, Penny got mad this morning when I left her outside to long for a potty break & left. I went to the house she has been going to but she didn't come to me when I called. They will find her about dark I suppose. This is her first run away for some time. I left her and Hogan outside all yesterday while I was at work so I guess it really made her angry when I forced her outside this morning.

I may go pull some really big grasses or weeds in a bit and make it look like flower beds really do exist out there in the yarden. I need to work with the new weedeater too but not today.

I have so much to get done tomorrow. I'll be in town much of the day. Not my favorite way to spend a hot day when there are weeds begging to be pulled but it must be done.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I keep coming back to this thread and never find and Okies here. LOL
Lake Texoma finally overflowed and everything here is under water. Have to go 14 miles here at my house to get across the bridge.
Anyway some of my kin live in Mo.
Birthday party yesterday for Mom.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

TA~ would it help if I tell you I was an Okie as a teen? LOL! Glad you're safe and looks like Mom had a grand celebration! ;0)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Final, I am done with bedroom paint! Then next I going remove the carpet, foam and more nails up and got cut from that nail while I paint the trim. Took pic this morning..

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Looking great so far!! Like the floors.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My post from this morning isn't on here. Don't know what happened to it. Maybe I forgot to hit the send button.

There is another OKey on here but she doesn't post often. Her name is Tazzie. She's a wonderful woman. I think she spends more time on the iris forum. We haven't heard from her for a long time. I hope she is ok.

There is more than that Eva May. About 2 others that i can think of. One from tulsa and one from Bartelsville.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Did somebody say OKIE!!! LOL

I have been so sidetracked with the flooding that I haven't been on this thread.

Some of you may have seen where our SPCA was flooded. It started on July 1 and we got as much stuff out as we could. It ended up with 4 feet of water.

Here is our website where you can go to see the flood pictures. It is awful.
http://www.wcspca.org

Also here is the thread I started about the flood in the pets forum http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/743504/

I am the treasurer for the Board of Directors. We are trying to find a new location but that can't be done overnight.

I also adopted a new furbaby the Wednesday before the flood. I think I was led to take her. Otherwise she would have ended up at the fairgrounds in the awful heat. She is a snowshoe Siamese.

Here is her thread. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/740368/ Her name is Missy Mau.

The flooding was bad in Bartlesville, but Coffeyville was the worst. That is in Kansas. That one made the national news. Our shelter has made all three local tv stations. There was another story tonight on Channel 6.

Here is a picture of my precious new kid in her usual form 'mau mau mau'.

Susan
=^..^=

Thumbnail by 9kittymom

I have seen pics of OK under water and of course Coffeyville. The damage I have seen reminds me of Katrina in some places. That oil spill was just unbelievable!!!

Glad you made it out ok. Nice kitty!! I just adopted one a few weeks ago too!!

This message was edited Jul 10, 2007 8:31 PM

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Those pictures upset me too. I know it wasn't anything deliberate or vandalism, but it was still a terrible incident. Did you get all of the animals out safely? I guess that is what concerns me the most.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Yes, all the animals were evacuated to the Dewey Fairgrounds. But we are going to have to get the shelter cleaned up and move back before August 1 because they have to get ready for the fair.

We don't really want to go back but we don't have any choice. We need a new property and a new building that is NOT in the flood plane.

Susan
=^..^=

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Tar i am okie
just have arthritis very bad this year and cant type very well .
we are soaked in Tulsa Area .
keystone lake is awesome never so it that high
little town west of us Manford their soccer field is under water
water up to the top of light polls .
Very scary looking

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.