July Daily Weather What's Happening in your neighborhood???

(Zone 3b)

good morning - 52* @ 7:30am. The photo was taken moments ago while sitting indoors/living room. Doing much better this morning thanks for all your kind thoughts.
music2keep - glad you had the needed rainfall - will it be much longer now w/school? Love the flowers, are they Hydranga?
MySharona - the link was very interesting - I had no idea it was such a complex song. Looks like you've got a hot day ahead...very pretty sky there.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: Glad you're on the mend. The view from your window is always amazing to me.
and Sharon, I love your skies.
Joey: I'm guessing D, dense forest.

HHH for sure today. Temps over 90, humidity well over 80. Not a day to be in my business clothes! Can't wait to get home, don the shorts and flip-flops and hit the garden. :)

Deb

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I'll say B, since sand gets so hot. That's probably wrong since it's so obvious, but I'll still go with it.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 11, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
79 °F / 26 °C
Clear
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Wind: Calm

Picture from yesterday.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

1:30 pm; 65*, yes, 65* and sooo warm. I sat outdoors a few minutes just soaking up the heat and light ---loved it.
DebinSC - Hope you're home and in the garden by now...sure sounds better than "work"..thanks, much better every hour it seems.
m2k - "a" (just because) for the most part, we don't get sunlight and snow-lots of snow and gray sky...
Kelli - your ocean photos beckon me --- Sharon's too, but California's closer...very pretty.
Cotton Grass
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

The boggy area the cotton grass was growing in. The trees are Black Spruce.

Thumbnail by kiska

Is cotton grass soft?

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kiksa – Now THAT is a backdoor view!! Pretty cotton grass.
Marylyn – I’ve been singing it all day! Didn’t realize I still knew all the words!
Joey – I’m stumped. I know how hot sand (burned toesies!) gets, but I also know that dark attracts heat too (dark car=verrry hot interior). But what if it’s snow. Water absorbs more light than anything…..arrrrrgggghhhhh!! okay – Just pick one LOL – D – dense?? Or maybe that’s just me!
Kelli – Nice picture!!

88.7 °F / 31 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 61 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa(Steady)
Heat Index: 97 °F / 36 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3800 ft / 1158 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

I took a couple of cloud pictures tody, it was a good day for it!

Thumbnail by MySharona

another

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! Everybody...Sorry I'm so late, but I've been working on school work! One more semester to go! :D

We had a Wonderful day today. We had a really heavy rain about 2:00...lucky for me ~ I had my rain coat on! I was checking the DO (Disolved Oxygen) in the races ! WOW! A hard rain in 5 minutes can really raise the DO levels. Nothing like an experiment that comes together! :D

Kiska, seems as if you're feeling a little better! Love those pix! Especially the one out your back door! :D And the wild cotton is Sooo Cool! And, yes...they are Hydrangias & they Smell So Good! Ummm....
Kelli, Speaking of "cool". Your temps seem to have gone down a bit! :D
Sharon, thanx for the link! If I had watched & listened to it this morning I would have been singin' it all day, myself! :D

The answer to the trivia is...D!
While grassy fields and dry sand are not far behind in absorption, snow reflects nearly all sunlight.

Sleep well....
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

Kelli - the cotton is as soft as cotton, can be gathered and used as a filling. I've picked and used some in the background of a photo I've framed.
Joey - one more semester- good going. Glad you had fun day, too.
Thanks, Sharon - isn't sharing our "views" just wonderful?:) Even your sky/clouds seems so different than what we see; hard to explain, but it must have something to do w/fact of latitude.
Cloud collision..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Joey – What kind of flowers are those? I’ve seen them before, but am drawing a blank on the name. They’re pretty!
Kiska – Pretty clouds! Does your area have tree farms?

The highest temp I measured yesterday was 96.7, then we got a little shower and the steam rolled in. Yuck...

78.6 °F / 25 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 23 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Heat index readings 101 to 106.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! :D The temp is a cool 60*. A cold front was supposed to roll thru last night, so we won't be so hot today & maybe tomorrow.

Thanx, Sharon, the shrub is called Spiraea, I think. It does have really pretty blooms that are verigated & makes a pretty hedge. 'Love your clouds! :D
Kiska Thanx, it was a good day & what an appropriate name for your pic! I like it when the different colors come togther like that ! :D

The trivia for the day is....
What weather-related reason is the leading cause of aircraft accidents?
a) Reduced visibility due to snow/rain
b) Downbursts (Microbursts)
c) Updrafts
d) Tornadoes

Have a Great Day! All! :D
(a wild Echinacea bu)
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning, everyone!

I'm guessing B, Joey.

Kiska and Sharon, I love those cloud pictures! One of the things I noticed when I moved down here 9 years ago is that the sky is a different shade of blue from the Midwest. I think it is because of all the moisture in the air.

Our forecast is practically identical to Sharon's: Partly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain less than 20 percent. The heat index is going to be around 110°. Ick.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (10 min ago)
Temperature 79 °F 26 °C
Dew Point 75 °F 24 °C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 30.09 in 1019.1 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir SSW 210°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 9 mi 14.5 km
Heat Index 86 °F 30 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.0°F / 23.9°C

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bright sunny Blu skies, 73°(F)

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 64%
Wind: 260° (W) at 9mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.03in
Yesterday's Precip: 0.31in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 70°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 83°F
Dew Point: 59°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 72°
Wind Chill: 72°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 62°F
6hr High Temp: 68°F

(Zone 3b)

44*F, sunny - highs into the 50's today.
MySharona - no tree farms, but here in the valley there is sod grown/harvested during the brief summer.
I have transplanted a couple dozen trees from different areas on the property just to have them where I want them and to replace the ongoing loss due to natural circumstances.
Music2Keep - "b" - glad it's going to be a bit cooler for you; should make for an easier day, I'd think. Love the deep green..
Dyson - wow - bright and blu and sunny - I'll have to bookmark this entry :)
Marylyn - interesting observation about the color of the sky. Sounds a bit hot there with heat index of 110*> (note our high for today)....
River @ bottom of Hurricane Gulch -
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Joey – Beautiful picture! I’m thinking B as well.
Marylyn – I never thought of the sky being different shades of blue in different areas. Interesting!
Kiska – Neat picture! Why is it named Hurricane Gulch?

Gotta go – it’s lightening all of the sudden!

Now
Through 1230 PM...thunderstorms continue to move into the nearshore coastal waters east of Jacksonville Beach. Other thunderstorms are over Hilliard...julington creek...mandarin and the Southside of Jacksonville. Heavy rainfall and occasional lightning should be expected with the thunderstorms as they move east.

92.7 °F / 33.7 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 66 °F / 19 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 96 °F / 35 °C
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2500 ft / 762 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Taken a few minutes ago

Thumbnail by MySharona
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi, everyone ! Great pictures with your flowers, pets and grandchildren !

I've been rather busy , mostly on the road, between my place and mom's. She feels better and eats a lot, does her exercises with the hand, but we still have a long road !She sometimes feels depressed and cries, but I 'm trying to keep her on track and optimistic.
We had a rainstorm yesterday in Bucharest, very powerful .Not far away from the city, they had a tornado, most unusual for our country, but they became usual in the last couple of years.
I stood there, at the window, taking pictures... must have been hundreds...just to catch a lightning !LOL I did it and wanted to share it with you !
This is how the clouds came ...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

They began filling the sky...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Until it became dark...at only 8 p.m. !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The storm began, so powerful and the sky was full of lightnings ! Many trees were ripped off, but only one in the city. Sorry for the blury pics, I thought you'd like to see it !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Another blury one, with the trees blown away !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

It became raining with ice...you can see a closer one !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

A first thunder I caught...still blury, sorry !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

It lightened the sky !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Another lightning...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Finally, the last one, although they've continued for a few hours !

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are fantastic pictures, Adina!! Thank you. :-) I've always wanted to go to Romania.. I had a very vivid dream about it when I was about 17 (21 years ago now) and I still remember it. It is so fun to really "see" Romania in your pictures!! I'm glad your mother is feeling better.

Adina!!! - Great pictures! Hail is common with tornados, because the temperature drops very fast. The blurriness just adds to the pictures. Mine would have been blurry form me jumping at the sound of the thunder and lightening being so close! I've never caught a picture of lightening, but you did it so well! Got my heart going just looking at the pics! Whew!

I'm also very glad your mom is doing better!

This message was edited Jul 12, 2007 1:54 PM

(Zone 3b)

Adina - wow is not enough --- what a great set of photos --- sure get the feeling of being there...glad all's well...very good to hear that your mother is doing better.
MySharona- guess I'll need to find out how it did become Hurricane Gulch - bet there's a story there...
Love the way the clouds mimic the shape of the tree line.
Our spinach was just about ready to pick, but moose got to most first. We do have enough for a spinach salad. Hopefully, it'll keep producing as the moose didn't pull it out of the ground. It munched on spinach leaves, horseradish leaves, the wild rose bush and the chocolate lilies...guess everything loves chocolate:)
Hurricane Gulch.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kiska, if a moose ate my lilies, I think I'd be looking up some moose meat recipes right about now. ;-)

Adina, that must have been quite a thunderstorm. The one thing I miss about Pennsylvania weather is the thunderstorms. For all intents and purposes, we don't have thunderstorms here, just wimpy little things once every couple years.

Joey, you're right, the weather has coolled down here a bit.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on July 12, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
86 °F / 30 °C
Clear
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the SSE

I don't know what is the best picture from today but I like this one. It isn't dramatic but there's something about it that pleases me. What is interesting about this particular meadow is that the lack of rain really suppressed the growth of the non-native wild mustard but didn't seem to hinder the grass. That makes me think that maybe this is a native grass. The unintentional introduction of non-native grasses and weeds has altered California grasslands, probably more so than any other habitat out here, so if that is native grass, it's good to see.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is looking down on the general area of where we were at the beach the other day.

Thumbnail by Kelli

It's a tinderbox out there, but fire does serve a purpose. It clears out disease and recycles nutrients back to the soil. Ordinary decay doesn't work very well in this climate. I was standing under an oak tree and the leaf litter was so deep that it was up around my ankles. Also, there are some seeds that will not germinate unless there has been a fire.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Kelli - as usual - your pics are dynamite, it is still sunny and warm at 81° here. but the blu skies have gotten that "broken" w/the clouds look it is ok. No real worry about bad wx today or this eve.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Kelli - I hope you stay safe and you don't have a fire. I know they are a necessary cycle of life out there, but people lose so much.

Our humidity and 95+ deg. temps are 'out of here'. LOL Currently 80 deg and breezy. The weather station says isolated showers - that means we don't get any. Yet 50 miles south of us they got 1" yesterday.

Day lilies are in full bloom so that means a lot of running around and pollinating. But clear cooler temps like this morning are perfect for that.

When we are exhausted, my DH and I sit on the porch and can say - "God's in his heaven and all is right with the world" At least in our little section. What a blessing.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

High 70s today. Was nice til afternoon then all of a sudden it just got really hot even though it wasn't even in the 80s.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

It was 50º here at 6:00 this morning and hit the high 70's this afternoon. Much nicer then the 90's and high humidity we had for a few days. The rain continues to miss us for the most part. We had a brief shower yesterday and late this evening a thunder shower that only dampened the grass. The light looked promising though, so I went on a little photo expedition. I drove out of the valley and could see it was raining very hard just to the south.

Adina........Ominous looking storm! It's good to hear your mother is doing better.

Kiska...........Hope you're doing better too!

Kelli........It sure looks dry there. It's funny you mentioned thunder storms. I took a few photos of one tonight. They do make for some nice light.

Here are a couple of photos from this evening.. This is a typical small farm here in NW Pa. It was about 8:30 and the late evening light had a nice warm tone. Just to the south the sky was dark and the lighting was flashing.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One end of the rainbow.

early_bloomer

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Eb - you are truly an artist w/the camera. Wish i could do as well.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The other end of the rainbow........

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One last photo.........this is an Amish farm just outside of town.

early_bloomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.